Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Glenn Miller Concert 1942 - 2012

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by Slipdigit, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I went to the annual concert in the city last night commerating Glenn Miller's performance on Christmas Eve, 1942 at Maxwell Army Air Force Base. The Airmen of Note performed many of Miller's hits and Christmas tunes played in a swing arrangement. The band wore vintage uniforms and the show was outstanding as the band played to a packed house at the Davis Theater for the Performing Arts. Maxwell AFB has hosted this event since 1982 and this performance marked the 70th Anniversary of the original, although it is no longer held on Christmas Eve.

The USAF and the city work together to make this a high point of the Christmas season in the area. It started off as a small show by the now extinct Maxwell AFB Band and grown into the grand event it is now. My wife used to attend it regularly, but after the children were born, we slacked off and it has been about 16 years since we last enjoyed the concert. We plan on attending next year and my eldest has said that she expects to go with us.

2. muscogeemike

muscogeemike Member

I just read somewhere that Glen’s last known words were “Where’s the ****ing parachutes?.

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Nice..Big Band brings it. So emotive. Cheers SD. And Merry Christmas to us all.

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

In Chris Way's 'Glenn Miller In Britain - Then & Now' GM's last recorded words were ' Haynsie - even the birds are grounded today!'.......