Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hello from Oceanside, Ca.

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by softailgarage, Jul 29, 2014.

1. softailgarage

softailgarage New Member

Hi all. I've joined this forum because my Dad was a Combat Engineer, ETO, WWII. and I do a lot of research hoping to get as much info. as possible. Dad was a Sergeant with the 1270th Combat Engineer Battalion, Co. B, 8th Div. 3rd Army. He was drafted in 1942 and the only info. I have is from 1944 @ Camp Chaffee, Arkansas to the end of the war. His records were among those destroyed in the fire in Washington D.C. during the 70's. Several years ago, while trying to reasearch a Company photo taken at Camp Chaffee, I met a woman whose father was in the same Battalion and was setting up a website devoted to the 1270th., Here is the website (my dad is Sgt. George Hornsby) http://www.1270thengineercombatbattalion.com/ The site is a little tricky to navigate and new pictures are added as I can get them to her. The Battalion had in it's ranks a gentleman by the name of Dennis Wile, who was assigned photography detail and has published many of his photos in a book called "the fog of war". My dad was an avid photographer and always had his Brownie camera with him. Because of that I have hundreds of pictures taken during the ETO tour. Dad never talked about his time in the Army much, like most WWII vets. As a child I would ask, "Dad, what did you do in the Army?" and his reply was always, " Well, we built bridges and blew them up". Once when I was young, maybe 10 or 11, he showed me the medal's and some pictures of a concentration camp with piles of naked body's and some furnaces. He wasn't intending on showing them to me, I just happened to spot them and grabbed them before he could stop me. A brief explanation is all I got and never saw them again until after his death in '98. I had been looking for his medals for years after his passing while living in the houise that had belonged to my parents. One day while cleaning out the garage I came upon a box shoved in the back of a shelf, covered in cobb webs. Opening the box, I found the medals, pictures and every report card from school he received. I knew my dad was smart, being an Experimental Machinist in the Defense industry for 30 years, but holy cow, straight A's thruout school? He had told me the Army had sent him to Purdue University for Officer training but pulled out after he learned that Lt's wearing (as he put it) "that stupid bar on their helmets" were usually the first killed since they were easily spotted. The one thing he did not tell me and I don't think my mother knew also was that after Pattons tank division discovered Buchenwald Concentration Camp, he and other members of his Company B (dad was a demolishion expert) were ordered into the camp to unarm and dispose of over 200 booby traps the fleeing Nazi's had left, hence the pics of the bodies and this I didn't learn until after talking to Nan who had set up the website. I do have a little more info after many hours of research, such as Patton chose the 1270th to work directly under his command due to him being impressed by their bridge building. Dad always said Patton was the greatest General and after watching the George C. Scott movie "Patton" with him and seeing dad in tears, I now understand. As Berlin fell, Company B was sent in to the I.G. Farben building and preparred it to become The Allied Command Center, then were assigned Military Police duties. When his ETO tour was up, the Battalion was boarding a ship expecting to be sent to the South Pacific when they learned Japan had surrendered and instead were sent home. I hope to learn more about His Battalion from this forum and would like to thank the adninistrators for allowing me the chance to do so.

2. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

Welcome to someone from one of my favourite towns. I hang glide there on many occasions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8lzcIBS5x4

3. softailgarage

softailgarage New Member

Thank you, however I'm in Oceanside, Ca. ( I dont remember seeing those rocks here). Off topic, I noltice your using the "Wills Wing", I went to High school with Kirt Wills who's family created the Wills Wing.

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

Welcome. I looked at the website. Very nice. Glad you could join us. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There's a wealth of knowledge here.

6. Earthican

Earthican Member

Welcome,

Just a thought, if he was drafted in August or September of 1942 that somewhat lines-up with the activation of the 397th Infantry (100th ID) in November 1942. The 397th Infantry is listed as one source of enlisted men for the 1270th Engineer C Bn. So he may have received basic and infantry training with them in 1943. However 1944 is an odd time for men to be transferred from the infantry. In Europe engineers were being re-trained as infantry. Any chance he was in the Army Specialized Training Program for college education? He might have started with the 397th Infantry, qualified for ASTP, when that program folded he may have lucked out and been sent to the engineers. But there are many other possibilities....

Good Luck

7. RRA227

RRA227 Member

Welcome! Rich A. in Pa.

8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Welcome to the Forum!

9. Ruud

Ruud Member

Welcome to the forum !