Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Interest Check

Discussion in 'Combat Mission' started by Mussolini, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Tomcat and I are about to start up a new CMBB game so I got to thinking about the last tournament and some of the issues we had with it.

I am thinking, if there is enough interest, that we can start a new tournament, using smaller maps and a quicker time frame, to see if we can get it up and running and with a dedicated core group of players.

So, if anyone is interested in Combat Mission Tournament, post your response here.

2. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

I am of course in.

3. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I am too, but I can't find my disk. I will look for it.

4. Tomcat

At least with a smaller map there will be instant action, and less positioning you army, but that also is half the fun.

5. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I still have the trophy from the last unfinished tourney, well actually Peppy has it. Should we finish off the last tourney or begin a new one?

6. Mussolini

The GroFaz is alive! :eek::eek::eek:

Good to see you back on the Forums, Otto.

I am not sure if we can pick up the last Tournament, since not everyone participating is still active on the Forums. I suppose we could check to see how the brackets stand and if all of the 'winners' are around we could pick it up from there.

Otto likes this.
  7. Otto

8. Mussolini

EDIT: Appears everyone is still around. Apart from Mr. Mysterious Peppy.

9. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

I'm still hanging around and posting. As soon as the cold air hits the northern tundra I get the game on. (Just one more rank to complete the 2nd prestige in WAW. I'm the oddball; I don't believe anyone here is playing that game anymore.).

I have not played Combat Mission since our faltering tournament. To be honest the 2nd map in our tournament seemed a bit complicated to me. The Combat Mission tutorial map is more my speed. I do not have this installed on my computer presently but wouldn't be opposed to getting it up and running again.

10. Otto

I'll give Peppy a call, and I do remember there were some issues with the maps. How about I pull a couple maps together and email everyone to finish this. Musso had originally made some maps, but he's in the tourney, so that's a bit of a conflict.

Sound good?

11. Mussolini

I tried to make the maps as even as possible! Mirror images of each other, but if any of you have ever tried your hand at map making for the game, you'll see how 'fun' it is, especially on the larger maps!!

I am sure there are 'scenario depots' still out there in on the intrawebs where we can find some fun maps.

So, if we work on finishing the 1st tournament, shall we also start the new one, since half the people in this thread are not part of the 'finale'?

12. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

This evening I tried installing Combat Mission. Things did not go well. The game is now nuttier than squirell crap. I never did get into a game as things flickered in and out. What one moment was Continue another moment it was Exit. Moving the cursor even made more things flicker. It also seemed impossible to even set the screen resolution. There are 3 things which I have changed since the last time I played. I am now using Windows 7 64 bit version. I have 2 ATI 5850 cards in crossfire, and I am using a widescreen TV. One or more of these likely has made Combat Mission unplayable. I did try Windows XP compatibility mode with no improvement. The game is now uninstalled, and unfortunately I may never get the chance to play this game again.

Regardless of this; I see that there are 4 people in this forum thread who are interested in getting a tournament going. You ought to just go at it. If you try getting another 4 players their interest level is likely to waver which will make it difficult to finish the tournament.

13. Mussolini

I know there is a $5 addon you can download for the game which apparently makes it work with Vista (which i imagine means it will work for windows 7).

14. Tomcat

15. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

I have tried the compatability mode with a troubleshooter but nothing as advanced as what you mentioned Tomcat. Supposedly I should be able to take any program that works in XP and run it in Windows 7. I did hear there was an issue with Vista.

Let me ask you guys a couple questions before I dig back into the advanced compatability mode.

Is anyone here able to play Combat Mission in widescreen? The way the menu is messed up I'm just wondering.

Also, does anyone here play Combat Mission with an ATI card. I have used Nvidia since forever, but based on ATI's advances I got 2 of there newest cards. One thing that makes me wonder about this is that when I 1st enter the game a popup comes up that wants to match the ATI card with a resolution. The highest resolution that is even suggested is 800 by 600 and it drops down from there if you don't choose that selection.

Even if I can get up and running I would suggest that the 4 of you who are interested in a tournament just jump in and start playing.

Thanks for your suggestions, I am curious whether this is solely windows or if it is something else.

16. Tomcat

HAve you checked your video drivers, perhaps they are not compatible?

17. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

I imagine that you must have an Nvidia card. I personally have gone the route of Nvidia since before Geforce 2, but the advances made with ATI far outweigh what Nvidia has done lately.

I have noticed that there is a small incriment driver update on the ATI site. (I have 9.10 and 9.11 is available) I will try this once their downloads are working again.

Anyone out there have Combat Mission work glitch free on ATI?

Does anyone play this on a widescreen monitor or TV?

18. Mussolini

I play on a widescreen 26inch monitor on a nvidia graphics card. Works fine for me (running XP)