Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Joachim Peiper

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by 5-0-duce, Jul 1, 2004.

1. 5-0-duce

5-0-duce Member

What's the story on Joachim Peiper? i've heard several but i dont know what to believe. Can anyone give me a straight forward answer? thanks

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Which particular aspect of his life or career ? :confused:

3. Stevin

Stevin Ace

And is there a straight forward answer?

4. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

No. Certainly no straight answer were this character is involved...

5. 5-0-duce

5-0-duce Member

just i've heard about him tourching villages and what not and i was also told once that some resistance killed one of his officers and he killed everyone in a village, but eh thats just what ive been told i would like to know whats true and whats not

6. Major Destruction

Major Destruction Member

Quote from "A Time for Trumpets"

He personally led a night attack on the village of Pekartschina...........and burned the village to the ground- other units of the Division called Pieper's SS-Panzergrenadiers the Blowtorch Battalion. In one drive, the panzer Regiment under Pieper's command claimed 2500 Russians killed and only 3 captured.

As Pieper himself later recalled ..............he was nearly certain that it was expressly stated that prisoners of war must be shot where local conditions of combat should so require it. Pieper made no mention of this to his commanders for they "were all experienced officers to whom this was obvious"

You can read more of the alledged murder of American soldiers in the Ardennes.

7. Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver Member

"A Time for Trumpets" by Charles MacDonald is a fine book. MacDonald was both an Army historian and a veteran of the Battle of the Bulge. Another good work by MacDonald is "Company Commander," his post-war book on his experiences as a company commander during the last year of the war.

What do you mean by 'alleged murder'?

[ 08. July 2004, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Deep Web Diver ]

8. Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver Member

US Army Center of Military History

<a href="http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwii/7-8/7-8_cont.htm" target="_blank">THE ARDENNES: BATTLE OF THE BULGE
    by Hugh M. Cole
    </a>

CHAPTER XI: The 1st SS Panzer Division's Dash Westward, and Operation Greif

[ 08. July 2004, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: Deep Web Diver ]

9. 36thID

36thID Member

My opinion, to get a true feeling about Peipier, study his December 1960 lawsuit against Porshe. He was a rising executive until pressure from trade unions led to a drop in sales at Porsche. He then was dimissed due to his association to war crimes. He he sued Porsche and in his lawsuit he tried to whitewash his past. I say he failed.... May the civilians of Boves, Italy rest in peace....

10. 36thID

36thID Member

I read this in a book titled "The Devils Adjutant".... Peiper was a one of a kind General. He was good looking, charismatic but had many enemies. In my opinion, rightfuly so. He was associated with many war crimes. His lawsuit was a farce. (again, my opinion). I will say that during post war interrogation that included torture, he never turned on men under his command.

11. Timo

Timo Member

He wasn't a general