Cross channel shelling of the Dover area by the Germans began on August 12th 1940 and, with the capture of the French ports, ceased in September 1944. A German long-range photograph of Dover (1), taken from a gun emplacement at Calais, shows the harbour entrance (white arrow), a patrol craft (white circle) and its anti-aircraft balloon. (black circle) Scene of a most valiant stand by British troops in1940, Calais Citadel fell to the 1st Canadian Army on September 28th 1944. During the Canadians advance, guns of a heavy coastal battery at Dover (4) bombarded German positions. The garrison of the last fort to hold out at Boulogne surrendered on September 22nd one of the 14-inch guns (2) that were silenced for ever, and it's shells in a captured gun-pit (3).