Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

My KM marked RKF......6ftx9ft

Discussion in 'Other Militaria' started by QOTD, Oct 5, 2011.

1. QOTD

QOTD Member

Found this beauty in an antique store down here......once in a lifetime find down here!!! This size flag was used by destroyers View attachment 14541

Attached Files:

• 034.jpg
      034.jpg
      File size:
      92 KB
      Views:
  2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

actually your flag would fit into the spectrum of any large ship not necessarily combat, could be cargo/transport tanker even.

3. QOTD

QOTD Member

Yeh could well be, I just remember seeing a list of sizes in respect to size of ship, though this flag was in the army and naval club in Melbourne, it was displayed there for a number of years and when the club closed in 2009 it was auctioned and the antique store I got it from bought it. It was bought back by a British soldier who then emigrated here, and it was taken from a destroyer... So the story goes!!!

4. QOTD

QOTD Member

I have often been curious as to how many flags were issued to each ship, I'm not a naval person, I'm army....I have a fair idea that I think the each modern Aussie warship carries 4 white ensigns er ship, my wife is navy, though she is ex army as well....I was watching one footage on the Graf spree sinking.....and the German sailors bringing ashore and burying their comrades, each coffin had a RKF draped over it, and it got me thinking, where did they get so many in such a short time..mayb th German consulate provided them....