Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Name this Naval Vessel

Discussion in 'Quiz Me!' started by Slipdigit, Nov 28, 2007.

1. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Takao, I would tend to say that you and TOS are among the very best of the competition. There just seem to be too many of us on line right now, so things are hopping.

While looking for photos of Empire Darwin I stumbled across this gorgeous little lady:

View attachment 13154

Isn't she splendid? And she's also my nomination for the next "Name this Naval Vessel."

Attached Files:

2. MastahCheef117

MastahCheef117 Member

Looks to me like an armed trawler in the Royal Navy. Haven't pinpointed the name however.

EDIT: I have the class, but I'm still looking for the specific ship.

3. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

I can see where you would believe her an armed trawler in the Royal Navy. She does look much like one. Not altogether certain this ship would have been considered a trawler, as she was never used for fishing.

Two hints: She served in both world wars. She was in a Royal Navy, but not The Royal Navy.

Additional hints available on request.

4. CPL Punishment

CPL Punishment Member

Note the raked masts, and the decorative filigree on her prows. Is she Greek?

5. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Indeed, CPL, I particularly like that fiddly business on the bow. Makes me think of late Victorian elegance and large amounts of coal dust. Though I'm not immediately sure what this lady initially burned. No, she is not Greek. The ensign flying from the peak of the halyard on the lovely raked mainmast shouldn't be a false flag.

EDIT: I should add that I do not wish to imply by "Victorian" that this ship dates to the reigns of any particular monarchs, living or undead. Though I will say that she does not date to any significant interregnum in the relevant lineage.

6. CPL Punishment

CPL Punishment Member

I saw what looks like the White Ensign, but you words made me discount that. I thought about the navies of WWI. German, Austrian, Ottoman and Russian navies were "imperial" (though I suppose the Austro-Hungarian navy was Imperial and Royal). Among the other combatants only the British, Greek and Belgians were "royal," although the Belgians didn't have a navy in WWI I'm aware of. That leaves the Royal Hellenic Navy, thus my guess. I'm not counting the Dominion navies as separate from The Royal Navy, or is that a mistake?

The decorated prows means that this is no work-a-day ship converted to an auxiliary warship. Would you considered her an armed yacht? I would guess launched around 1895 - 1900.

I just noticed she has a direction-finding loop antenna on her pilot house.

7. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

I believe it is a mistake to count the various dominion navies as part of the Royal Navy by WWII. Janes, for instance, lists them separately. They had their own training programs and command structures. Given that cruisers like Australia and Bellona went by HMAS and HMNZS respectively, I felt it would have been misleading to call them part of the Royal Navy per se.

As to the yacht question, so far as I can tell she never served as one, no. In some ways she was a work-a-day ship converted to auxiliary, but her work was more glamorous than fishing or tramping.

Two additional hints: She bears something in common with both Maine and Louisiana. She served as an AA training ship during WWII.

8. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

She is a real beauty, that flag looks either a White Ensign, one of it's Commonwealth equivalents, or Imperial Gernany. Looks like she's decorated aft as well so unlikely to be a trawler as it would interfere with net handling.

9. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Not imperial Germany. I could add a more recent picture if it would help. She had a ridiculously long career.

I will add that she was an auxiliary pressed into service. She was not built as a commissioned warship. (And is, perhaps as a result of this, absent from Janes. I begin to think I may have stumbled across quite a difficult girl.)

10. MastahCheef117

MastahCheef117 Member

Unfortunately I was off D: I believed her to be a Dog-class armed trawler, and from several pictures they both look strikingly similar.

11. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

I can see the resemblance, but the ship in question is a good bit older. She was commissioned into service for both world wars, but, like most ROTC types, she had a day job that she did before WWI, between the wars, and after WWII.

And a quite lengthy career it was too. I believe she would have been eligible for Social Security had she served in the US. As it is she's currently enjoying quite a nice retirement in her home country. (Aha! Another hint! She's still around! Though, alas, she is no longer wearing the lovely brasswork. I suppose we all expand a little in the beam, so that perhaps our youthful trim no longer quite fits.)

12. CPL Punishment

CPL Punishment Member

Enough! I've toyed with you long enough, SymphonicPoet!

Here she is today, minus her brightwork...

[​IMG]

13. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

And isn't she lovely? Even in her retirement she cuts a fine figure on the bay at Halifax.

I should say it really wan't my intent to be so darned difficult. I happened to see a picture of her while looking into Takao's CAM ship and I genuinely thought she was both lovely and quite interesting.

Your turn, Cpl. I don't doubt you will be a demanding task master.

14. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

I should add that while in commission, during both world wars, she was known as HMCS Acadia. The CSS stands for either Canadian Science Ship or Survey Ship, depending on who you talk to. That was her job before, between, and after. She was a significant and rather famous hydrographic survey ship. (If that's not an oxymoron.) Here's a nice Wikipedia article about her: CSS Acadia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Swan Hunter, 1912. Rescued mariners from ships fouled in the ice. Sounded enormous stretches of Canadian waters. Hunted U-boats in two wars. Trained AA gunners. And did it all again. Had a career stretching from just before Stravinsky's Rite of Spring to just after the Beatles' Sgt. Peppers. Not too shabby at all.

15. CPL Punishment

CPL Punishment Member

Yes, she is a beaut! I see they've given her plain old shrouds. I wish the ratlines were still in place. Give me a bit to find a real corker, (heh, heh)

I took another look and I believe she has rattlins on her mizzen.

16. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

They may have done that specifically to discourage visiting ra a a, er riggers from having an unsanctioned loooksee aloft.

17. CPL Punishment

CPL Punishment Member

The gauntlet is thrown down:

[​IMG]

hint: South of the border...

I'll give you another: an unhappy ship...

18. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

Could be one of the two Brasilian sisters Bahia or Rio Grande do Sul. IIRC the latter met a bad end.

EDIT Wrong ship, the Bahia records includes a mutiny and sinking herself by accidentally hitting her own deph charges during AA practice, you can't get much worse than that.

19. CPL Punishment

CPL Punishment Member

Well done, TiredOldSoldier.

Crap. I thought maybe there'd be some sweat expended on this one. Next time no hints.

20. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

"South of the border" made it too easy using a 1943 almanac, though if you had posted her in her two funnels guise I would have had a hard time recognizing her. And I needed the "unhappy ship" hint to pick the right sister.
    Searching ... scanning ... back in a few minutes

Looking at the competition was really temped to ask for the second boat in row 3 of this ...... (don't know the answer myself)

View attachment 13157

This is, the real quiz, is easier

View attachment 13158

Attached Files: