Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Name this Naval Vessel

Discussion in 'Quiz Me!' started by Slipdigit, Nov 28, 2007.

1. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Ooh, I like that one. No immediate answer, but quite interesting. Will have to look when I get home tonight if no one gets it first. As to the second boat in the third row . . .

Wow!

I'm guessing the boat in the foreground is either Nautilus or Narwhal, but man . . .

Can't even really be sure of that. I think they're US boats, but I've been wrong many times before.

2. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

No, I'll revise my guess about the first picture. I think that's more likely an Archimede class sub in the foreground. Sharp looking boat. No good lead on the specific photograph yet, which would likely be the only way I could pin down the specific boats pictured. Nice show of force, though. I wonder it it's a part of the same demonstration that popped up here six or eight months ago with a few Italian BBs. Got me curious, in any case.

Gorgeous seaplane tender. Think I recently bought a model of her as well. Will find out later if no one else wants to guess.

3. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

You guessed right about the first image, it's the 1938 "rivista H", below are links to a two part "istituto luce" propaganda video of it. The fiist video of it (actually part 2) is very, very nice, the second (part one of the original) is more dedicated to the not so nice chaps it was all about than to the ships. AFAIK there were 76 subs at the review and they performed a rather spectacular simultaneous surfacing, don't know if to be glad or sad the actual combat training was not at the same level.

YouTube - Regia Marina - Rivista Navale di Napoli - Italian Naval Power in 1938 - PARTE 2
    YouTube - Regia Marina - Rivista Navale di Napoli - Italian Naval Power in 1938 - PARTE 1

4. Takao

Takao Ace

Nice photos TiredOldSoldier.

I too first thought of the foremost submarine as US, but not the Narwhal class, they had a bit of superstructure that would be visible under the guns, and the enclosed periscope sheers were never fitted to the Narwhal and the Nautilus didn't get hers until after the war started. I was thinking of one of the early Fleet boats. But then I realized; only one nation put on such a large demonstration of submarines, and it wasn't the US.

Might as well take it SymphonicPoet, you got there first.

5. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

Quiz is still open, waiting for the actual mistery ship, yes she's a seaplane tender though she also served as an MTB tender late in the war but who is she?

6. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Oh, fine. I'll try to put it to rest. I'd say that's Miraculous Joe. Assuming that's the correct translation of the Italian: Giuseppe Miraglia. (I think it is.)

[Ed: Okay, Reflective Joe. Man, I checked an online dictionary and everything. Oh well. Miraculous Joe just sounded so . . . Baseball. Wonderful. Oh well.]

7. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Attached Files:

8. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

It is Giuseppe Miraglia but no miracle (miracolo in Italian), I think the surmame means "mirror maker".
    Your ship looks US, apart from the flag it was the only country that put so much AA on it's auxilliaries. But those cranes look standard merchantman.

9. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

It's no merchantman. But the cranes are pretty ordinary.

10. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

As far as I can tell, she was never a merchantman. She had was "placed in commission with a civilian crew." Not sure how that works. Now, the fit you see in the picture is not her original fit, and by that time she no longer had her original crew or designation, but still carried the name with which she was first commissioned. (And so far as I know always did.)

11. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

Lokking through the pics I have closest fit would be USS Black Hawk but she was the former Santa Catalina.

12. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

I can see the resemblance, but the ship in question was built by a navy yard and had no civilian career. All similarity appears to be strictly coincidental.

13. MastahCheef117

MastahCheef117 Member

Possibly an auxiliary cruiser?

14. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Auxiliary, yes. Cruiser, no. I don't believe she ever mounted anything bigger than a 5"/38.

15. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

I will say she was the rare auxiliary that won battle stars. Not even just one, but two.

16. CPL Punishment

CPL Punishment Member

Could that be USS Vestal after her conversion to a repair ship?

[​IMG]

Here she is a collier:

[​IMG]

17. Takao

Takao Ace

ARRRRGH! I can't believe I missed her photo, last night after coming home from work, on her navsource page. I must have skipped right over it.:mad: This morning I saw CPL Punishment's response, and thought "Nah, that ain't it, I checked her last night, and, of course, going back to the navsource page, what is the first photo that catches my eye? Yup, you guessed it.:(

Too many hours awake, too few hours for sleep.

18. CPL Punishment

CPL Punishment Member

If you look carefully at the photo of Vestal listing and beached you can see the huge patches of rust where her paint was burned off by the fireball from the exploded Arizona.

19. CPL Punishment

CPL Punishment Member

OK. Let's put aside the obscure auxiliaries. Here's a real warship (I mean the sub, not the rowboat):

[​IMG]

20. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Of course you are correct, Cpl. Wouldn't have called Vestal obscure, particularly. That sub on the other hand . . .