Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

new russian super plane?

Discussion in 'Air Warfare' started by majorwoody10, Jan 21, 2007.

1. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    my dad was telling me about some new russian plane that was 3 times faster than any fighter in the west ( he saw it on a science program on tv ) ...what is it ...anyone?

2. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I have never heard anything three times faster than an F15, or whatever the fastest fighter in the west is.

3. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Not likely. Perhaps he misunderstood. There are definite limits to speed in the atmosphere due to friction. Also, aircraft designers know that to optimize one parameter such as speed you have to make trade-offs in other areas. The SR-71 was about as fast as any aircraft that flies in the atmosphere is going to achieve barring some fundamental advances in metallurgy or other revolutionary technological breakthroughs.

4. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    hmmm...perhaps he did ..if none of you guys of even heard of it ...very strange ..my dear father is , i fear ,terminally ill , but his mind is still quite sharp ..its not like him to get something like that wrong....

5. smeghead phpbb3

smeghead phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    They already have the fastest fighter in operation, the Mig-25 Foxbat... But its hardly 3 times faster, and it sure isnt' new...

The only experimental Russian platforms I know of are the S-37 Berkut (NOT to be confused with the Su-37 Terminator) and the Mig 1.44, both of which are attempts at developing stealth technology in response to the F-22...

6. sinissa

sinissa New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Foxbat was comfirmed by westers sources that he dewelop more them 3 Mach speed (i think 3.2 mach) but like somebody sayed it is not now,it is cold war product.I did not heard for any otther extremly fast craft developed by russia,and i think that SU-47 berkut was actented on stelt+super maneuwrebility not extremly speed.

7. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Probably american, but civilans have tracked aircraft going at mach 12 in western USA. some people have even given descriptions of it.I'll try to find some pics for yous to get a look. Its somewhat similar to the F-117 and B2.

8. Ome_Joop

Ome_Joop New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Just google for aurora aircraft... (it's the so called aurora project)

http://accelerationresearch.tripod.com/

9. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The Mig-25 wasn't a fighter. It was a high speed, high altitude interceptor.
    It was crude by western standards and could only do a few things well and only for a short time. It could climb high and fast however it wasn't really capable of doing the high altitude interception that it was designed for. A limit of mach 2.8 had to be placed in order to prevent the engines from self destructing and even that might cause damage. The Mig-25 could not match the speed of the SR-71 much less exceed it as would be needed to successfully intercept it. Under carefully controlled conditions it was able to set many climb and speed records which led the west to vastly overrate it but that is about the claim to fame this turkey of an aicraft can claim.

10. Ome_Joop

Ome_Joop New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Overrated for sure but it's not so underated to call it a turkey that is a bit lame!
    Claim of fame: 1 shot down a F/A-18 during the Gulf war and on December 23, 2002, 1 shot down an armed Predator drone (the first time in history that an aircraft and an unmanned drone had engaged in combat.)
    The question is ofcoarse was it designed to intercept the almighty SR-71?

11. Notmi

Notmi New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think it might have been designed to intercept B-70.

12. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    It was. After use as a bomber interceptor it then found a niche as a high-speed recon plane. Not really a turkey.

13. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    There are conflicting reports as to what exactly it was designed for. Some say the B-70 others say the SR-71 or U2. In any case an interceptor that cannot go significantly faster than the target it is designed to intercept, and stay aloft long enough to intercept it is useless and the Mig-25 could not have served as an effective interceptor of either the B-70 or the SR-71, thus the turkey comment.

14. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Do you have a reliable, documented source for that claim of mig-25versus FA/18 kill? I assume you are talking about Lt Speicher's F/A 18 that crashed and there were rumors that a mig-25 had shot him down. AFAIK it was just rumors. The accident investigation concluded that it was probably engine failure IIRC and since Speichter was killed on the ground by the Iraqis he cannot confirm nor deny.

If a fighter encounters an unarmed drone it should relatively easy to bring it down. Not a big accomplishment.

15. TISO

TISO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Grieg Soviet air forces were split into different arms. Interceptors MiG-25's were all used in PVO (Proti Vozdushna Obrana =anti aircraft defences). Their role would be to take off and patrol/defend their designated sectors as part of anti aircraft defences. They would also kill all targets seen closing in to Soviet airspace. MiG-25 had "long arms" (long range missiles). It was also capable to attain high altitude fast which was important for interceptinh extremly fast high flying targets. AFAIK their tactics against planes like SR-71 was to take off after first early warning radar picked up the target and patrol designated sectors along predicted SR-71 route. Problem was always the predicted route as not entire SSSR territoty was covered by MiG-25 PVO regiment and a lot of elder and slower PVO planes (like Su-15) were used.
    MiG-31 was direct descendant of this concept.
    Main dogfighting (on tactical level) would be done by VVS (Voenoe Vozdushniye Sili = military air force) fighters.

16. Ome_Joop

Ome_Joop New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Altough i agree somewhat on this it is not completly true...as why could the F-15 or even a F-16 for instance kill the Foxbat?(First kill was using several F-15's to lay a trap...they did not need to keep up or be faster than the Foxbat as their missiles were faster!)

Also strange is that the first prototype was the recon version (they were smart enough to see it not only as an interceptor). I think they knew it wouldn't be faster than the SR-71.

I wonder if the MiG-25 could kill a SR-71 if they lay out a trap?
    I think it could do it even without it(just has to get close enough and fire it's R-40 missiles wich would certainly be faster than a SR-71 at mach 4.5) and that could be one of the reasons why the US didn't use the SR-71 to perform deep recon into the USSR.

17. smeghead phpbb3

smeghead phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The Mig-25 may not be able to do the job it was designed to do... But then what can? I can't think of any aircraft missile system which wouldn't have trouble shooting down an SR-71 (like Ome said, laying a trap might work... but would be difficult) The SR-71 can outrun all aircraft and most missiles...

When you think about it, The Mig-25 (and Mig-31) is probably the only aircraft with a small chance of intercepting the SR-71... It remains the fastest armed aircraft in the world, and even if it can't shoot down an SR-71, it retains a good speed advantage over all other warplanes in existance... The Mig-25 is fast enough to also make it capable of outrunning missiles, so I imagine if properly used there are very few aircraft which could actually intercept and destroy it...

Grieg, the Israeli's say they have shot down at least 3 Mig-25's, the USAF also claims to have shot down three... however I can't seem to find the official documents and the Sryians won't confirm it... Apparently official Soviet report on the Mig-23 list at least two kills of Israeli F-15's in Syria... However, not working in the Kremlin or the Pentagon, its really quite hard to 'prove' any aerial victory... :grin: At any rate most western sources seem to accept that the Mig-25 has had victories against Israel and/or in the Iran-Iraq war, regardless of whether or not it shot down Speicher...

I agree, it is a bit conspiracty-theorish, some people say engine failuer, some people say SAM, some say Mig-25...

18. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    All an interceptor needs to do is to intercept its prey. Generally the tactic is for the interceptor to climb rather fast to a point in the sky where it will meet its prey, then shoot it. Some of the 'best' interceptors (like the EE Lightning, or even the Me163 Komet) were incredibly short-legged, the Komet only having enough fuel to get up to altitude and have one pass at the bombers. The point is, that this is enough. If your interceptors are engaging in long tail-chaes of enemy aircraft then you need to seriously re-think your strategy. Or better yet hire a decent ground controller.

19. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    How many bombers (much slower prey than the interceptor) were actually shot down by Komets? The days of huge formations of slow, lumbering bombers stretching for miles is long gone.

20. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    But the basic job of an interceptor - to get to a position where they can intercept an enemy in the quickest time possible - is exactly the same.

Most true interceptors are more engine than plane. :wink: