Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Norwegian Army Goes Veggie

Discussion in 'Military History' started by GRW, Nov 20, 2013.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Wonder if they'll use biodegradable paintball ammo too? And yes, I know that's a picture of US troops...
    "The Norweigan army has announced it will feed soldiers a vegetarian diet once a week in an effort to cut down on ecologically unfriendly foods.
    'Meatless Mondays' have been introduced at one of the country's main bases and will soon be rolled out to all units in a boycott of food whose production contributes heavily to global warming.
    With livestock farming accounting for almost 20 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions worldwide, the army's proposal has been welcomed by environmental groups.

'It's a step to protect our climate. The idea is to serve food that's respectful of the environment," a Norweigan army spokesman said.

Eystein Kvarving added: 'It's not about saving money.
    'It's about being more concerned for our climate, more ecologically friendly and also healthier.'
    Environmental group, The Future in Our Hands, praised the defence ministry for 'taking climate and environmental issues seriously,' reports The Local.

According to research carried out by the orgnisation, the average Norweigan adult eats more than 1,200 animals over the course of their life, including 1,147chickens, 22 sheep, six cattle and more than two deer."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2510652/Norwegian-army-goes-vegetarian-goes-war-climate-change-cutting-ecologically-unfriendly-foods.html#ixzz2lEzI9avT

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

Is it wise to get between armed men and their meat? :)

3. green slime

green slime Member

Sorry, but I'm not mourning the loss of 1,147 chicken, 22 sheep, 6 cows, and 2 deer over a dietary life span of 84,372 meals.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

No meat no work , that's how I see it

5. DaveBj

DaveBj Member

More evidence that the phrase "Norwegian cuisine" is a contradictory expression :D

6. dbf

dbf Member WW2|ORG Editor

Reminds me of one election pledge given by the Green party before the recent German elections

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/06/19894515-hands-off-my-sausage-german-uproar-over-weekly-meat-ban-plan
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/spat-over-meat-consumption-livens-german-campaign-a-915064.html
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/german-elections-blog-2013/2013/sep/13/german-election-wurst-policy-veggie-day-greens

7. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

Hey the Sheep and Deer are perfectly safe from me!

As for the cluckers and mooer's ...life is hard, then you die.

8. lwd

lwd Ace

I wonder if that wording leaves it open to serve fish on "meatless Mondays"? Especially since they didn't list it in the meets eaten and I suspect fish is hardly a rarity on Norwegian tables.

9. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

As my mum said to one of my girlfriends....You'll still have a ham sandwich though won't you..

10. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

If I lived in Norway, I'd open a Fuddrucker's outside the gate of the nearest military post, featuring 2/3rds of a pound of premium beef grilled to order, with herring fries on the side. I'd be rich in no time.

11. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

Effing PC Nazis!