Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Nuclear subs collide in Atlantic

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Richard, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Richard

Richard Expert

And we the Brits will probably pick up any repair bills for the French. :rolleyes:

BBC NEWS | UK | Nuclear subs collide in Atlantic

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

That's what happens when you "drive" on the wrong side of the road :D.

What actually gets me angry is that we could have 2 nuclear subs sunk and that as usual eveything was kept secret. "No serious damage" they say on both sides, yes : this time.... but what about next time? Isn't it time that as allies both countries share their planned route to avoid a potential major catastrophe in the future?

3. Richard

Richard Expert

THE ROAD! :eek:

Indeed, taking risks is not worth it.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The joke wouldn't have been funny if I said "sail on the wrong side of the water" :)

5. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

now while this may or may not be pertinent, over the years I have found that when walking in stores, or down the street in America, persons tend to stay to the right, so that they meet oncoming traffic on their left. A habit of which side of the road on which we drive no doubt. I don't know if the opposite is true in Great Britain, as the only time I passed through was exactly that; "passing through" as in plane change. As much as I would have liked to stay for a time, my pre-made plans (USN) didn't allow for same.

6. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

If one of the two was an SSBM the routes they follow and even their operating areas used to be one of the most jealously guarded secrets of any navy, I don't think it likely they would be shared with anyone.
    Also as cruise missiles have effectivelively turned any SSN equipped with them into a WMD delivery platform detailed knowledge of any nuclear sub's whereabouts has probably become a closely guarded secret.
    The real argument is whether it still makes makes any sense to risk taking nuclear warheads for a walk in this post cold war age .... IMO the risks far outweight any deterrence effect they might still have.
    But old habits die hard and the military are afraid relegating them to port is the first step before taking away their toys.
    IMO a treaty outlawing them is long overdue, and thanks to the huge investments involved in deploing such systems could probably ber enforced, despite the lack of serious incidents up to now I have a feeling we are living on borrowed time.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

:rofl: Captain Ramius (SP?) meets Captain Queeg :lol::lol:

8. Richard

Richard Expert

The French spokesman from the navy said... they should have heard something. Us or them? ;)

9. Lias_Co_Pilot

Lias_Co_Pilot Member

Crazy Ivan!! Crazy Ivan!!! Thing is, subs don't stop on a dime. Can it be they were at the bottom of Red Route 1?

Years ago, I saw this brilliantly funny list where a sailor described how one could recreate living in a ub at home. I think first he said get yourself a giant steel dumpster, line the sides with pipes and move your family in.

He also mentioned throwing a family member in a pool, yell "MAN OVERBOARD" drill then time family members on their response time.

And my favorite, put curtains around your bed, have someone open the cdurtain once an hour, shine a light in your eyes, and say "oops, wrong bunk".

texson66 likes this.
  10. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

This comes from the Feb. 17 Sydney Morning Herald:

That last sentence killed me. For that we need someone from Jane's Fighting Ships?:rolleyes:

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...rench-nuclear-subs-collide-20090217-89eq.html

11. WalkerBulldog

WalkerBulldog Member

I beg to differ, that would have been hilarious! :D