Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Ordensburg Vogelsang.

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by SKYLINEDRIVE, Feb 12, 2012.

1. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

Vogelsang is situated on the northern fringe of the german "Eifel" region. Very near to the border with Belgium, not far away from Aachen. Vogelsang was a Nazi "Ordensburg" = Castle of the Order, there were three of them, the others located near Sonthofen in Bavaria and Krössinsee in Pommerania. They were elite universities meant to train the political cadres that were supposed to rule and administer the Reich. An applicant had to pass two years at each Ordensburg, each of which had a different curriculum.

Vogelsang was built from 1933 till 1936 and only a small part of the projected infrastructures were realized. It was functional from 1936 till the outbreak of the war in 1939. Till 1945 it was used by the Hitleryouth and as a "Adolf Hitler Gymnasium" = High School. After the war it was first used as Barracks by the British Army before it was given to the Belgium Army. On january the 1st 2006 it was turned over to the german authorities. Adjacent to it is a huge training area. Unfortunately I lost my best pics when I reorganized my photobucket account.

Vogelsang is the biggest complex of Nazi architecture that has survived. Even if the site is now somewhat in a state of dereliction and the germans seem to be lacking the necessary funds to develop the site it is well worth a visit. It is impressive to see how architecture can be used to manipulate people and how the place still reeks of Hitler's insane ideas after so many years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

formerjughead likes this.
  2. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

Out of salutes now, but will give you one later for this great post, thanks!

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Fascinating photos :cool: ! This place is covered in the 'Third Reich : Then & Now' book but these are far more comprehensive......

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Great quality pictures. They are very nicely taken.

5. leccy1

leccy1 Member

Many a week I spent enjoying a restful sleep in those accommodation blocks and many an hour cursing the hill the camp was built on while doing PT.

View attachment 15783

Attached Files:

6. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

I was quite a few times in Elsenbeach but never in Vogelsang! What unit were you in leccy?

7. leccy1

leccy1 Member

I was a Sapper, we used to go for two weeks every other year for a Range Camp, the Belgium Army took us through some exercises like crawling under low wire entanglements while live firing MG fired over our heads with explosions going off around us, Anti tank drills where we stood in a hole while a tank was driven at us, the Belgium soldier would tap our head we then ducked as the track went over the hole, we than had to get out of the hole and climb on the tank to drop a grenade in the turret.

Lots of different live fire exercises like advance to contact, assaults, building in defence, vehicle borne MG firing while on the move. The ranges were pretty good.

The hill down to the lake was a bit of a trudge to go swimming in (not to mention the lake was freezing) then a nice brisk run back up with maybe some time on the assault course and trim trail.
    A few beers in the evenings and the odd film in the cinema.