Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Parachute drop at Pegasus Bridge marks start of D-Day commemorations

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by kerrd5, Jun 6, 2009.

1. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

"The old men in their blazers and berets stared up into the bright sunlight as paratroopers filled the sky.

"Some struggled with their emotions as memories flooded back of battles fought a lifetime ago, of friends who never returned home: for 65 years ago the veterans on the ground were the ones floating down, some of the first troops to land on D-Day — day one of the Allies’ invasion of Nazi-occupied France.

"The display by 3 Para near Pegasus Bridge was a parachute drop as carnival sideshow, a reassuring military spectacle for the D-Day commemorations taking place all over Normandy yesterday and today, when the Prince of Wales joins President Obama and President Sarkozy in the international ceremony marking the 65th anniversary of the invasion."

Parachute drop at Pegasus Bridge marks start of D-Day commemorations - Times Online

texson66 and brndirt1 like this.
  2. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

thank you for posting that, the pictures reminded me of a picture i have seen of a soviet soldier saluting a few years back teary eyed at some remembrance day.

3. Halldin

Halldin Member

Very nice, thanks for the link. I love that photo of the Veteran and the chutes in the background.

4. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

great to read, glad the vets are enjoying themselves.....wish i was there!

5. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Thanks for this post, I envy all my fellow Rogues who get to visit the place this or any year!

6. texson66

texson66 Ace

Too bad a glider landing couldn't have been done too. Every time I look at the post action photos it is incredible how close the first glider got to the bridge!!

[​IMG]

7. fricker66

fricker66 Member

Great article thanks for posting. I agree, I sure wish I could have been over in Normandy today. I've tried to watch as much of the coverage as possible. I'm always left in awe of the events on D-Day.

8. blacksnake

blacksnake Member

Same here Fricker, the BBC over here had live coverage from Arromanches right up to about 2200hrs. Alongside the Vets where young Cadets, most of whom are the same age as the young men who landed there 65 years ago, very fitting.

It's difficult today to comprehend the scale of the landings on D-Day, but when I got to visit Normandy the thing that struck me the most was the vast distance of the invasion front. It's a good 4hr drive from Sword Beach in the East to Utah in the West. The massive amount of 'manpower' that it must have taken is truly mind-blowing.

To all those that took part that day I thankyou, you will always have my utmost respect.