Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sterling Mace - Battleground Pacific: A Marine Rifleman's Combat Odyssey in K/3/5 - Pre-Order

Discussion in 'Honor, Service and Valor' started by Sterling Mace, Nov 25, 2011.

1. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

Good to see you around these pages again, M. Mace. All the best to you, Sir.

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

You? Politically incorrect? I find that hard to believe. ;)

I'm surprised that more old marines don't use those words.

3. Sterling Mace

Sterling Mace WWII Veteran

No, I don't imagine I feel much like I'm politically correct. On the other hand, I don't want to offend anybody. Nonetheless, I'm not sure people would appreciate what I wrote if it came off like I was guilding the lilly, either.

4. LRusso216

Your use of "offensive" terms is correct for the time period. You see them all the time in contemporary news media. Anyone who has a language problem probably shouldn't read it, anyway. Good luck with the book, and I can't wait to read it.

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

"Political correctness" is for people who have nothing more important to do with their time. ;)

Mr. Mace, I am very much looking forward to reading your book, especially after reading that review and your comments here. I completely agree with the technique of using "the voice of the times" to give a sense of what it was like. I applaud you and Mr. Allen for taking that avenue in telling your story.

6. rkline56

Well said.

Amen to that, Tommy. It is a tiresome and weak "norm" of the times. Yuk. What we need is a few more men around like Patton. I imagine they are out there but reluctant to come out of the bunker until very near retirement time.

7. rkline56

I like the foreword, Mr. Mace. Sorry to see Lt. Bauerschmidt's cross. Looking forward to the rest. Glowing praise from Jerry Cutter is not to be discounted.

"an amalgamation of everything that became life as I know it." Strong statement and paragraph.

8. LRusso216

I read the prologue and Chapter 1. I'm looking forward to the rest.

9. Sterling Mace

I sure you hope you enjoy the book. They tell me that I should be people to write a few words on amazons about it, it would be a good idea. Even if you think it's a piece of crap book.

Sterling G Mace

10. rkline56

It is a fantastic book, Sir. Tommy O, Pfc. Lawrence Mahan (many will remember him), Colonna, your thoughts on the amtrac, baseball, the expressions (the imagination) from those days, Sh##birds from Yemassee - your takes are riveting. I will write about it on amazon, as I am sure many of the fine people on this forum will do as well. It will be my privilege.

Your observations about Pavuvu are too funny.

It's a cinch to be a hit IMO, probably an instant classic. Be well.

11. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

The poors wish you well. ..Will have to rely on 2nd hand accounts until I can find used...Sniff.. Wouldn't it be nice to read some chapters here? Gratis...When the time is right... Best wishes and thanks for your service Mr M.

Sterling Mace likes this.
  12. Sterling Mace

I'm sorry to hear that you're poor, Poppy. I imagine you hads better eat something, though. You're looking a little too thin. I hear maybe you can sell your computer and buy a sandwich.

13. texson66

texson66 Ace

I already let you know I purchased your book from Amazon on Facebook; just thought I'd let folks here know too! Congratulations!

Sterling Mace likes this.
  14. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Ha! I have been called many things, thin not one of them.....Maybe poor was a poor choice of words. I am rich in many ways....If I had no computer, I'd not be able to read the free chapters of your book you may have so graciously (considered?) offered to the readership here. lol...When the time is right. ...I WILL read you sir, just won't be paying cover price. Would if I could.

15. LRusso216

I just finished your book, Mr. Mace. It was a good read and well worth my time. It provided another glimpse of combat and what marines went through. Although it's difficult for me to understand what you did, thanks for taking the time to write this. It helps to unerstand what you and others did.

16. TD-Tommy776

I just got your book from Amazon and can't wait to read it. I'm sure you already know that Rick Kline gave your book a wonderful review on Amazon. He's a man of his word. :D

17. rkline56

Why thank you, Tommy. I appreciate that, my friend.

Lou,

The book is a major accomplishment in my opinion. Very clever descriptions of the personalities and places ("on the eighth day God....")<so funny> and confrontations of those campaigns. I will say prayers for your comrades that did not come home this Memorial Day and remember them every day and your little sister too. Thanks again Mr. Mace!!

18. Sterling Mace

Well, in that photo of you on here it looks like you could use a sandwich (or two). haha.

Thanks for all those who have read my story. I want to get the word out, so if you care for an autographed book, do one of those little reviews on the amazons, and you can send me your copy and I'll sign it.

How about that?

Sterling G Mace

19. Clementine

Clementine Member

I received my autographed copy back yesterday! One of my prized possessions now! Thank you.

I'd second the comments about the humor. For all of the horror, there was the humor. I pictured you running around Peleliu with that Salvidor Dali mustache. Just a slightly humorous, surreal detail amid all of the terror of landing on the beach.

20. TD-Tommy776

I've just started reading your book, Mr. Mace, and I have to say it is one of the most compelling books I can recall reading. One thing I will say is that I will never again complain about the lousy tasting water that comes out of my faucet at home. ;)