Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Whats wrong with Cross of Iron?

Discussion in 'Book Reviews' started by Stefan, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

I know some of you didnt like the book, I just finished it and loved it. Maybe I just found a connection because I can relate it to things I have seen, heared or have actualy happened to me (dont worry, not the combat or any of the bits about the front). I thought it was a really great book. I havent seen the movie though. So why didnt you guys like it? Also I remember someone saying something about the Russian women soldiers bit being inaccurate, I dont see much wrong with the bit in the film so what was the problem?
    Cheers,

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I saw the movie several times before I found a copy of the book, then I watched the movie several more times before I read the book (I was always forgetting I had a copy of it untill sometime in 1998 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: when I snuck it to work, and read it a few pages at a time.

I could get into the book, but it was tooooo slow for my tastes at that time. I didnt like the fact that it had very little that was actually used in the movie (I know, it wasnt the authors fault) and seeing as I loved the movie right off the bat, and that so little was similar, that I could not like the book. I also hated the ending of the book as well.

The movie was excellent, all the fighting scenes were excellently done, the mood was correct. They even sang a few real German soldiers songs like: I cant think of the actual name but there was the Infantrymans song, and another.

To me, the movie had as much realism as the book, and was done in a much better style than the book. We all know that war is something like: Hurry-up and wait, a bit of terror and alot of boredom, as the book correctly showed. The books problem was that it was too boring, and too many things were told in depth and not enough of the other things, like the action.

Just my 2 cents worth, or two shillings worth.

[​IMG]

3. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Fair enough, when I read it I didn't find it slow but that may be because I was reading it quite quickly (maybe 2 chapters a day) rather than a couple of pages a day at work which kind of compensated for the general slownss. The other good thing about the book is I am now dieing to see the movie.

4. Smoke286

Smoke286 Member

In my case its just one of those rare cases where I prefered the movie to the book

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Actually, I made a Faux Paux, I meant to say that I read only a few pages at a time. I did manage probably a chapter or two per day at work depending on where I was stationed and how busy it was.

I just could not hold an interest in that book. If you have ever read Firefox, by Craig Thomas? I found that book as good as the movie and maybe a bit better.

I found the Movie: Battle of the Bulge, much better than the book.

A Time To Love And A Time To Die, I liked the movie much better. This is a great Eastern Front movie and also German Soldier at home on leave movie. Nobody will seem to agree with me on this forum that this is a GREAT movie.

There are others I could name if I remembered their titles that I liked the movie better than the book.

Now if they made a movie of the book: "Shooting the War" I would like the book much better.