Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

With all the activity in the "rim of fire"...

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by brndirt1, Mar 27, 2011.

1. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

of late (Japan, Myramar (sp?), New Zealand, Chile, et al, I wonder if "son of Krakatoa" will blow it's top like Papa did in 1883? That event killed tens of thousands outright, changed the global weather for five or six years, and I see that Anak Krakatoa is growing and spouting flame and smoke again.

I just finished the book by Simon Winchester; Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded and it got me to wondering is why I thought to post this here. A quick google search showed up some pretty staggering photos of the latest activity in the area.

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I feel I should remind all before we panic, that as Hollywood has shown us, no world ending catastrophe can not be overcome by a mad scientist and a handfull of nuclear warheads!:)

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

Myanmar is not on the Pacific Ring of Fire. Just sayin'. And Krakatoa is on the Australian/Eurasian Plate boundary.

Now one that should be worrisome by the OP criteria would be Mt. Rainier.

4. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

Hopefully things will settled down once the Moon recedes back to it's usual distance. I wonder if there are any studies tracing the "SuperMoon" with volcanic activity?

5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

Another volcano we should watch out for, Mt. Wilshire.

6. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Well it's not on the 'Ring of Fire' per se; but, it is near the Eurasian and Australian plate boundaries I could see a devastating earth quake taking place there. Mt Vesuvius isn't in the 'Ring of Fire' either and it pretty much made Pompei into a country song.

Let it erupt!!!!.....it would do the world a favor. I am more concerned witht he ones in my back yard: Lassen and Shasta and we're still picking up rocks from this little fella : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Tehama

7. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

There is more than just earth quakes on this page. It may prove to be of some interest.

Live Earthquakes Map

KTK

8. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

Wow Ken! It looks like Southern California is already gone. I talked to my Uncle in Northern Cal. yesterday (not far from formerjughead) and he said they've had so much rain, there is mold growing on him.

9. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

It's been a crappy winter out west in general. The snow packs are huge and spring is way behind. When it hits it's going to hit with a vengence. Wonder what the floods will be like this spring
    ?

KTK

10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Good to see global warming taking a.....hold.
    I was wondering about Mt Fuji? I may get laughed off the site for that wondering...
    And as for the supermoon? Well the earth's centre is LIQUID iron...just as it effects the tides....Just an idea.

11. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

Well, here's my two cents worth from someone who lives in area of high volcanic activity. We have earthquakes everyday and they're mostly not noticed by the public because they're weak. It's the really strong ones that get our attention. For the Philippines, what is always on the back of our minds is a major movement of the Marikina Valley fault system, which experts have said is long overdue for a big one. If that goes, the scale of damage would really be bad. Very few buildings in our capital are rated to withstand a 7.2 earthquake and the one in Japan was rated an 8.9 to 9.

12. Dauntless

Dauntless Member

North America is long overdue for a major catastrophe. Mt. St. Helens was a flash in the pan, and a warning. The west coast is most likely the scene of this disaster, whenever it comes.

At one time, the world's tallest mountain was in New Mexico, but about 200 million years ago, it blew itself into the atmosphere. No area is secure. It could be:

West coast-earthquake, tsunami, volcano

The Rockies-major volcano (Yellowstone?)

Louisiana-the Mississippi decides to re-route itself

Southern Missouri-major quake

New York-overdue for a major quake

Azore Islands-island could split in half, tumble into ocean. Tsunami could swamp east coast.

13. lwd

lwd Ace

Hood would also be somewhat worrying as would Yellowstone.

14. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Hopefully it will stay cool until May so that opening day of trout season won't be washed out from snow melt. The last couple of years have sucked because of reduced flows and restricted fishing due to forest fires or lack of runoff.