Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWII shirkers and defectors

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by muscogeemike, May 20, 2013.

1. muscogeemike

muscogeemike Member

Joseph Heller (CATCH 22) couldn't have been the only guy who thought of this. Does any one know how many of the Allied Airmen interned in neutral countries when there to avoid further risk? And were any of them held to account for their actions?

Along the same lines how many Allied servicemen defected to the Axis? There had to have been some and were any of them held accountable after the war?

I think India should be excluded from this count - their reasons might be too complicated for this thread.

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Don't know, but there are one or two about German Luftwaffe aircraft that flew into UK and seemed to be knowingly intercepted and shown where to land...The case of a Luftwaffe radar trial aircraft springs to mind.

3. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

I think this is too much of a gray area to come up with something that would stand up in a honest court, and probably the military justice system felt the same, .
    The first "grey" is how they got there: determining whether they got there by navigation error, because they had little chance to bring back a damaged plane or to get out of the war is not easy to prove, especially if the plane crashed or was repaired.
    The second "grey" is that military aviators landing in a neutral country were interned, detention conditions varied but it's pretty difficult to accuse someone of "not trying hard enough to escape".
    Finally that sort of trial, if not "open and shut" had a chance to become very controversial, what if a bomber crew came up with "we pulled out because we couldn't stand to murder civilians any longer" in court, not something the authorities would appreciate as the legal status of some of the bombing orders was very iffy.

I haven't researched this, though I have read a lot about the "internees", so I would be very interested in what comes up.