Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

24th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron

Discussion in 'WW2|ORG - WWII Open Resource Group' started by Robert Dean Hegler, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Robert Dean Hegler

Robert Dean Hegler New Member

New to this forum. My dad was part of this group, Troop C. He was a D-Day survivor. He never spoke of his wartime experiences. I plan to write a family history book for my kids and grandkids. Consequently, a portion of that book will include my father's military exploits. He passed away in 1995. I have very few documents from his service time. No discharge papers, only his uniform with patches. I need guidance on where I can get his records to verify his involvement in the European Theater until his discharge. As you are well aware, the records in St. Louis, MO are no longer available due to the fire. If anyone has some uncomplicated and direct advice on where to inquire about my father's service, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Mike_Hind likes this.
  2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

3. Temujin

Temujin Active Member

You can find “some” information on the 24th Cavalry Reccon Squadron in this book:

First United States Army - Report of Operations - 20 Oct 1943 to 1 Aug 1944
    Here’s a link to the book in Fold3.com
    Page 1 WWII War Diaries

Unfortunately Fold3.com is a subscription based service, so you’ll need to purchase a subscription to look at their information……If you happen to have a ANCESTRY.COM subscription, you can get a subscription to Fold3.com “cheaper”…..Ancestry owns Fold3.com

I might have a copy of this Report in my files, if I find it I’ll post a link for you (so hopefully you won’t need a Fold3 subscription

Here’s just 3 pages I found that mentions the Squadron and what they were doing on specific days
    2388D494-D411-43E2-8A24-C21123957453.jpeg

E4A51933-2D9F-49BF-98D7-C8E4AB7538E0.jpeg

43740A6D-926C-4115-A780-B4AD18D78B43.jpeg

Mike_Hind and Biak like this.
  4. Temujin

Temujin Active Member

5. Temujin

Temujin Active Member

6. Temujin

Temujin Active Member

History of 24th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron Mechanized from 5 June 1944 through 28 June 1944 [plus 1-31 July 1944, inclusive].

You can download at this link

World War II Operational Documents

7. Mike_Hind

Mike_Hind New Member

Hi Robert, good luck with your work on Troop "C". As it happens I am just 15 minutes from Barfleur, here in Normandy, which was liberated by Troop "C" on the same day as Troop "A" were liberating my town of St Pierre Eglise. I'm researching to write a book on everything I can find about Troop "A" and publish whatever I can before that, to mark the 80th anniversary this year. I'll think of your dad when I'm in Barfleur, later this afternoon. My partner had a book that she can't find at the moment (she's moving house) that had a picture of some of Troop "C", looking very tired in the back of a truck. I only had a passing interest when I saw this, several years ago, but now I want to find it again. I'm new to the forum too. It's a steep but interesting learning curve.

Slipdigit likes this.