Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

AAV7/M113 /M60/M109 pics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by bronk7, Aug 8, 2021.

1. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

posted for Prospero
    South America ....went through some forest in Brazil [ not the top pic ] ...very rough going..if you didn't hold on and have your helmet, you would get your head/etc banged because the Track is bouncing, very roughly, every which way m10001.jpg m50001.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    Half Track likes this.
  2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

me waving Scan.jpg

Half Track likes this.
  3. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..landed...bunch of youngsters interested in the Tracks..I think it's in Chile, but it's been over 30 years!!!
    soccer, of course m3 - Copy.jpg

I don't remember where this is
    m4.jpg

Half Track likes this.
  4. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..I thinks it's a Brazilian M113...been a long time though ..I know we went through a Brazilian forest, to get to a deserted beach..where we didn't do much all day!!! just did whatever..I read, slept and ate-- m6.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  5. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

Thanks for your posting interesting camouflage on the vehicles.

bronk7 likes this.
  6. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Great pictures! Looks like that M113 is an M113A2?

7. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

I think it's funny how the pentagon said the M113 was obsolete but we still have hundreds in service and they are in service in countries all over. Maybe they should take another look at them and see if they can produce a newer model that more suited to their needs or just rework the Bradley. I have the dml MRLS the chassis was used for the command vehicle and resupply I'd like to build the cargo and command module that goes on the chassis think that would be kewl

8. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

now that you mention it --yes---the camo is interesting ..need a thread on camo/how do they choose it/etc

9. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

thanks....I thought it was an M113, but I had to google it to make sure...it's been over over 30 years since I got out ....I'm not an expert on AFVs.....maybe I have some pics of AFVs from the Med..I'll check

10. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..launching from an LST

t1 - Copy.jpg

Half Track likes this.
  11. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

....M60 and M109 in Honduras..Pre-Positioning exercise ...we flew into LaCeiba.....and drove to a port, pretty far away where the ships landed all the equipment.....you can see some AAVs next to the tank .....we were guard/security......so we drove all the way to the port [ very long--I thought it was maybe an hour--I forget exactly- ] as guard for Marines that landed at the airport...we spent the night at the port, then drove back to LaCeiba, then drove back to the port with busloads of Marines ...did this for about a week...then we chilled at the port for a week...then we did the process again, only in reverse ..got to see a whole lot of Honduras
    ....Pre-Postioning is how the USMC stores vehicles/equipment/etc in ships.....if they get the word, Marines are flown in to meet the ships at a meeting place that is ''safe''....
    --M60 !! I must be old!!

h10001.jpg

h20001.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Half Track, George Patton and CAC like this.
  12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

So jealous of America's and Britain' SPs ...We are getting them but should have had them a long time ago. Apparently we are buying from South Korea. It doesn't look terribly different from the one above...and thats decades old!
    [​IMG]

Australian M113AS4
    [​IMG]

Half Track and bronk7 like this.
  13. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

....wow--still using the M113--upgraded of course ...if it gets the job done-good to go --and, as I've said many times--a mediocre weapon/[system/ vehicle ] etc in motivated, well trained hands, is better than a great weapon in unmotivated, untrained hands....
    ..those SPs can move fairly well

14. harolds

harolds Member

Ah yes, the good old M113! I have good memories of that thing. If you'll permit me a story...

I was in my junior officer's course at the Ft. Benning School for Wayward Boys and it was the training section for armored infantry warfare. Our instructors were NATO country officers. In our final exercise we had a German major instructing us on the offense side (naturally) and a certain British major with the last name of (honestly) Montgomery (no relation) advising the defense. Major Montgomery told us in the pre exercise lecture that we in the offense could only win if we took his beret!

Long story short: We got his beret. However, it seems we "bent" a few of the M113s. The school CO was threatening courts martial for all concerned, when Maj. Monty and his German counterpart stood up for us. They told the CO that we had the "proper spirit" and since they were in charge of the exercise, he could courts martial them! He added that he would gladly have us serve under him! The CO backed down of course.

I was driving a "track" in that exercise (offense) but despite my best efforts I didn't damage it. I loved knocking down big Georgia pine trees with them! Got it really stuck a couple of times though. :XD:

15. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..what year was that? ''bent''?

16. harolds

harolds Member

Hi Bronk7!

IIRC, it was the summer of '72.

Bent? Oh, some water skirts torn off, plaining boards broken. Some metal, as I said, bent. The armored equivalent of fender benders. We basically, surrounded him, several tracks pushed up against him. Some of our side jumped from their track to his and "liberated" his beret.

17. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

roger that..my pic of the M113 is from 1989, if I remember correctly