Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Adrian Cronauer

Discussion in 'Roll of Honor & Memories - All Other Conflicts' started by GRW, Jul 19, 2018.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"Adrian Cronauer started every show in Saigon with the catchphrase made famous by Robin Williams.
    The man whose military radio antics inspired a character played by Robin Williams in the film Good Morning, Vietnam, has died.
    Adrian Cronauer was 79 and died in a nursing home in Troutville, Virginia.
    Mary Muse, the wife of his stepson Michael Muse, said he died from an age-related illness.
    During his service as a US Air Force sergeant in Vietnam in 1965 and 1966, Cronauer opened his Armed Forces Radio show with the phrase, "Goooooood morning, Vietnam!"
    Williams made the refrain famous in the 1987 film, loosely based on Cronauer's time in Saigon.
    The film was a departure from other Vietnam war movies that focused on bloody realism, such as the Academy Award-winning Platoon.
    Instead, it was about irreverent youth in the 1960s fighting the military establishment.
    "We were the only game in town, and you had to play by our rules," Cronauer told The Associated Press in 1987. "But I wanted to serve the listeners."
    The military wanted conservative programming.
    American youths, however, were "not into drab, sterile announcements" with middle-of-the-road music, Cronauer said, and the battle over the airwaves commenced.
    In the film, Williams quickly drops Perry Como and Lawrence Welk from his 6am playlist in favor of the Dave Clark Five.
    Cronauer said he loved the movie but much of it was Hollywood make-believe."
    War DJ who inspired Good Morning, Vietnam has died

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

A quality movie...annoying so much is made up. Weird that Cronauer outlived Williams.

JJWilson likes this.
  3. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

I agree, great movie, one of William's best performances I believe, and one of a few Vietnam movies I like......it's ashame hear about Adrian as well, thanks for your service.....:s!:

4. lwd

lwd Ace

Sounds to me like they got the spirit right. That Cronauer loved the movie is telling IMO.

May he rest in peace.