Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Afrika Korps RKTs for Kai.

Discussion in 'North Africa and the Mediterranean' started by C.Evans, Mar 13, 2003.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Kai--I apoligise to you--I couldnt post anything yesterday as the internet was down. Ill try to post another RKT bio today but--if not--then definately tomorrow--providing the library is open.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

BUMP--so I can remember to post more for Kai today. :D

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Herbert Konig was born in Hamburg on August 17, 1913. On May 15, 1935, he entered service with the Wehrmacht and in June 1937, he was posted to the Wiemar-Nohra Flight School. He initially began training as a Transport Pilot and he flew the JU 52. On May 10/ 1940, he flew a transport carrying a stick of Fallschirmjagers on their assault on Fortress Holland. During this time--he was a Feldwebel and had earned his Iron Cross 2nd Class.

His next major assignment was his transferr to Sicily on February 6/ 1942 flying his first mission to Afrika on that same day. Daily Konig and the other transport pilots flew supplies including gasoline, from Comiso to Tripoli. During this period of time, Konig was awarded his Iron Cross 1st Class, Transport pilots Clasp in Gold, and on February 14, 1942 he recieved his German Cross in Gold. During these missions, Konig many chance escapes from enemy fighters and flak positions during which so many of his fello transport pilots were shot down and killed.

On June 9/ 1944, he recieved his Knights Cross of the Iron Cross after flying his 500th mission - making him one of a very few transport pilots to get this high award. His next assignment was to an Air Liason Geschwader serving as an Airborne Coachman to Field Marshalls Ernst Busch and Walter Model and to Generaloberst Wiess and Generaloberst Reinhardt.

He next attended the Schule of Air Warfare at Bug auf Rugen from January to April 1945. In that time, he was promoted to Oberfeldwebel and his last assignment was as a transport pilot with the 12th Staffel, Transportgeschwader 1. On May 8/ 1945, he was captured and by August 4/ 1945, he was released from the Prisoner of War Camp.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Kurt Kuhlmey was born in Insterburg, East Prussia on November 19/ 1913. He volunteered for service with the Luftwaffe in April 1934. After he completed Basic Training he was sent for training as a Recon Pilot at the Reconnaissance Schule im Prenzlau. Next from April 1/ 1935 to July 31/ 1935, he trained at the Luftwaffe Fighter Schule, Schleissheim. His next assignment was with the 1/Stukageschwader 162 - Schwerin. By November 1/ 1936, Kuhlmey had been promoted to Oberfahnrich and then was transferred to 2/Stukageschwader 182, then to Stukageschwader 168 in Graz.

Before September 1/ 1939, Kuhlmey had been promoted and had become the Staffelkapitan of 1/Stukageschwader 1. He flew missions throuought the Polish, Norwegian and French Campaigns. In 1941, he led his Staffel in raiding Malta and also participated in the attack and sinking of the Royal Navy Air Craft Carrier: Illustrious. He flew many missions against the Allied Shipping Convoys sailing in the Mediterranean Area of Operations. He next saw action in North Afrika and there his unit was re-named 2/Stukageschwader 3. During this period, he recieved his Iron Cross 2nd Class, Iron Cross 1st Class and his German Cross in Gold.

He had again been promoted and was now Gruppenkommandeur from April 1/ 1942 to March 31/ 1943, and he became a Knights Cross Recipient on July 15/ 1942 as CO of 2/Stukageschwader 2 and as a Hauptmann and then his next command was as CO of Stukageschwader 3 from April 1/ 1943 to near the ending of the war. Kuhlmey recieved the honorary title of: Prince of Bir Hacheim, for his "softening up" of that French Fortress. During this time, he somewhat briefly transferred to the Eastern Front and had seen action in the Crimea and in Finnland.

While serving on the Eastern Front, he was Acting Geschwader Kommodore of Stukageschwader 2 "Immelmann" from March 14/ 1945 to April 20/ 1945 and then he was transferred to the Staff of the general der Schlachtflieger. During his career, he had been shotdown twice. He flew more than 500 missions and had been promoted to Major before the war ended. Among his other decorations, he recieved Divebombers Clasp.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Walther K. Nehring was born in Stettin, West Prussia on August 15/ 1892. On September 16/ 1911, he joined the Army as an Officer Candidate and was soon promoted to Leutnant on February 18, 1915 and served in the 152nd Infanterie Regiment during ww1 and winning both Iron Cross 2nd Class and Iron Cross 1st Class. After the war, Nehring became a member of the Reichswehr.

Nehring under Guderians eye, helped him to create the Armored branch for the Armed Services. On July 1, 1934, Nehring became the CO of the 5th Panzer Regiment, which was one of the first Panzer Regiments, created for the German Military.

Walther K. Nehring served as Chef des Stabes of XIX Armee Korps, then on October 26/ 1940, he became the CO of 18th Panzer Division. As he led this Division during the Russian Campaign, Nehring was awarded his Knights Cross to the Iron Cross.

Nehrings next command was as the CO of the Afrika Korps on March 9/ 1942 leading it till August 31st when he was seriously wounded while traveling through a minefield which was on the El Alamein approaches. On November 5/ 1942, Generalfeldmarschall "Smiling Albert" Kesselring, transferred Nehring to the 5th Panzer Armee as it's new commander.

Because of Nehrings timely action with a small group of soldiers--he won the race to Tunis and was recommended by Erwin Rommel for the Oak Leaves. In December 1942, Nehring then became the CO of 26th Panzer Korps, and then was transferred back to the Eastern Front where he was placed in charge of the 1st Panzer Armee.

He led this armee away from the russians after the disasterous fighting on the then "advancing russian fronts" back to the West--where he was captured by an American unit--and on May 31/ 1948, was released as a Prisoner of War.

[ 16. July 2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

[​IMG]

Kurt Kuhlmey

He commanded Battle Unit Kuhlmey, named in his honor, against the Russian attack on Finland in the summer of 1944. The unit flew 1,242 sorties and achieved a 4-to-1 kill ratio against enemy aircraft.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/goe/eaglebios/90bios/kuhlme90.htm

When the Russian forces commenced their 'Great Attack' on 9 June 1944 Marshall Mannerheim asked for assistance from Germany. Already on 16 June 1944 detachment Kuhlmey flew to Finland. Lorentz was acting as the joint forces air component commander for the whole Karelian Ishmus. Lorentz and Magnusson went to Immola to meet Lt Col Kuhlmey who told that he had received orders on 12 June to fly to Finland. There was no set organization so Kuhlmey selected 32 Ju-87 Stuka dive bombers, 32 Focke Wulf 190 fighters and six camera-equipped Messerschmitt Bf-109 fighters. Kuhlmey told that there were to be no co-operation between Finnish and German units - those were his specific orders. Lorentz wasn't happy with the idea and tried to maximize the effect of the forces by co-operation. Kuhlmey mentioned that he had sent some of the recce Messerschmitts away since the Finns had mentioned that they were not needed. Lorentz suggested combining the Finnish bomber force of some 70 aircraft with the German unit and Kuhlmey agreed. This deal turned out to be one of the decisive factors in supressing the Russian advance at Tali-Ihantala.

(During the 38 days of the Russian 'Great Attack', Finnish Bf 109G pilots claimed no fewer than 425 aircraft shot down and another 78 damaged during 355 missions (2168 sorties). In turn ten Messerschmitts were lost to Soviet fighters. Eight pilots were killed and three captured.)

http://www.sci.fi/~fta/zimbo-03.htm

http://www.ww2.dk/air/attack/sg3.htm

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Kai--I havent forgotton, just no time. Ill be able to do some more of these tuesday around noontime. Ive been busy trying to get my tax info out so I can get my refund in [​IMG]

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Thanx Carl,

Those are great biographies! I just wanted to show how much we Finns do appreciate Kurt Kuhlmey and his pilots and what they did in the summer of 1944. Definitely one of the corner stones why the Russian major attack in the Karelian isthmus was not a success.

:eek:

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you Kai, much appreciated. Ill at least try to finish Nehring before I leave today. [​IMG]

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Theodor Graf von Sponeck was born on January 24/ 1896 in Offenburg.

He began his carreer with the Cadet Korps on August 12/ 1914 and soon graduated as a Leutnant and was sent to join the 1st Grenadier Regiment. In World War one--he earned both the Iron Cross 2nd and 1st Classes. After the war ended, von Sponeck joined the Reichswehr as a Hauptmann.

Sponeck is credited with the development of the Motorcycle coat when he had been the 1st Motorcycle Kompanie of the Motor Vehicle Instruction Detachment. On January 1/ 1938/ he was promoted to the rank of Oberstleutnant, and became I.a. of XV Armee Korps. He served in this unit through the Polish Campaign.

His next assignment was as CO of 11th Rifle Regiment 9th Panzer Division on February 15/ 1940. His next promotion was to Oberst on April 1/ 1940. He saw action in France as Co of this unit. When the 9th Panzer Division was trasnferred to the Eastern Front, von Sponeck saw action there and was grievously wounded and recieved his Knights Cross on September 12/ 1941.

Next he was transferred to Africa and took over the command of the 90th Leichte Afrika Division because of the wounds that Generalmajor Kleemann recieved in a battle fought on September 24/ 1942. Graf von Sponeck was promoted to Generalmajor June 1/ 1942. Graf von Sponeck participated in the fighting on the front lines at El Alamein, narrowly escaping death more than once.

The Germans retreated into Tunisia, and the newly promoted Generalleutnant became one of the last men taken prisoner by the Americans. Generalleutnant Theodor Graf von Sponeck was interrned to a POW Camp located at Dermott, Arkansas.

Kai--I finally finished these for you my friend. :D

11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Thank you very much Carl!

Very interesting reading!!!!

:D ;) [​IMG]

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Quite welcome my friend--sssssssss about time I finished them for ya. ;) [​IMG]

Boy--it seems as if ebay has really changed its site since I last bothered to look.

I hate the new look :D

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

well it's a change anyway. Supposedly easier to manipulate.....Carl make a bid on the book and then practice your Deutsche skills ! ;)

~E

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Erich--I wish I could but I can't--i'm still on hiatus thanks to a dishonest German seller.