Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

American Airbases in USSR

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by PzJgr, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Absolutely, Hit me! I am ready!

Let's nail this one...

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Not much food for the tummy I admit. I'll see what I can try to do in the next several days to snoop around a bit--weekends are impossible as everyone will be there.

3. Stevin

Stevin Ace

A smokebomb always does the job for me...

When I am at my Wargame Clan Lan Party and we need some 'livening up the place ' at 5.30 in the morning...

Guess I won't try that one on my relatives, tough...

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

My sis has so much paper clutter in there that if you even think of the word warm--the place would simultaneously combust. :D :D Heh heh--twould teach her to quit being a pack-rat. :D :D

5. Mytmo

Mytmo recruit

Well, finally! I have found others who know about the US AAF in Russia near Kiev during WWII. My Dad was stationed near Kiev. I am not sure which airfield. He was a Radar operator and flew supply missions. He knew Russian and had even brought back a small chess set. I have been searching the WWII history books on this an could not find any information. My Mom only knows that the Germans had bombed the airfield almost every night and when he left England, he could not tell her where he was going. Sadly, my Dad passed away many years ago and I have just started the family genealogy. He never spoke of his time in WWII, so I have limited information. I do have some pictures that I suspect are from Russia and a small handbook on Russian phrases. I sent for my Dad's records from St. Louis, but they reported back that his records may have been destroyed in the fire of 1973. He had given an interview to a local paper, saying that during his service career he made a plane trip from England to Russia with stopovers in Casa Blanca, Tunisia, Bengasi, Cairo and Teheran. He spent nine months near Kiev, Russia servicing the planes on shuttle raids from England and Italy. He made the return trip by train and truck to Cairo with stopovers in sin Tabriz, Baghdad and Jerusalem, then by ship from Port Said to Liverpool. Any more information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

6. Jan7

Jan7 Member

Excuse me that not post in this thread, only read all your lines, but is an amazing matter for me. I suscribe at the post in this precise moment.

Thanks for share!

Jan.