Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

An apology for you all...

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by Friedrich, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

As I have said before, I am stupid. :D

And I want to take back something I mentioned two or three times in some threads.

I mentioned several Soviet offensives in 1942. I mentioned "little Saturn" for the encirclement of Stalingrad, "Saturn" for the attack on Rostov, "Mars" the attack outside of Moscow and "Jupiter" for the destruction of Army Group Centre.

Well, I am completely wrong with the name of the operation which had to encircle and destroy the VI German Army in Stalingrad. The correct name of the operation is NOT "little Saturn", but "Uranus"... :D My mistake gentlemen. I am sorry to disappoint you this way... :(

2. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Well, like my grandmother always used to say...It takes a big man to admit he's wrong...

3. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Actually, "Little Saturn" was the operation actually done instead of "Saturn". General Vasilievski changed the objectives of Saturn: Rostov, when he saw that his forces did not have the capability of achieve such an ambitious plan... However, the escence of "Little Saturn" was the same than "Saturn"'s; operations against the left flank and rear of Army Group Don in a typical operation in depth. "Little Saturn" was a failure, because it could not hold the German positions that were taken: Morozovsk and Tatinskaya. But it succeeded in making a mess in the left flank of Army Group Don, beating the Italin VIII Army.