Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Animals at War

Discussion in 'Military History' started by A-58, Jan 23, 2013.

1. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I'll have to add that to my read list now. Looks like a good one. Off-beat or out of the ordinary stories are a good mix.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Seems a little young to have already made Kitty Officer First Class.

A-58 likes this.
  3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Somehow I always think of the Russian mine dogs that were taught to eat under a tank. In the frontline later they had a mine ln their backs and sent to face German tanks.

5. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

During WW II, the navy tugboat, USS Pawnee, had a cat for its mascot. They called it V-6 and the following account is from Theodore Mason's book, Rendezvous With Destiny.

USMCPrice and A-58 like this.
  6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Funny buzzing sound like a bug, so must die.

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Vietnam Veteran Caesar...

[​IMG] One of eleven combat tracking dogs who served during the Vietnam War. Caesar, a black labrador kelpie cross, was bought from a Sydney dog refuge by the Australian Army in 1966. He and his handler, 43952 Private Peter Haran, were trained at the Tracking Wing of the Ingleburn Infantry Centre, NSW. In 1967 they were posted to 2 Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment (2 RAR) and left for Vietnam aboard a RAAF Hercules C-130 on 7 May. Based with the Australian Task Force at Nui Dat, Phuoc Tuy province, Caesar worked as part of a combat tracking team which comprised his handler, two visual trackers, a machine gunner and a signalman.
    Tracking teams were transported to a location by helicopter and the tracking dog put on the scent of the enemy, following it until the enemy location was found and then ‘pointing’ with his nose or paw in the direction of the hideout. In June 1968 Private Haran completed his first tour of duty and returned to Australia where he was promoted to corporal and posted to the Tracking Wing of the Ingleburn Infantry Centre as a dog handling instructor. However, Caesar remained at Nui Dat and was assigned a new handler from the recently arrived 4 Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment (4 RAR). Caesar then went on to serve with 5 RAR, 9 RAR and 7 RAR and was assigned a new handler as each battalion withdrew from Nui Dat and was replaced. Due to quarantine restrictions the tracking dogs were unable to return to Australia at the end of their service and Caesar was retired to the British embassy in Saigon in July 1970. In 1971 Haran was posted to 3 RAR and he returned to Vietnam in February as an infantry section commander and served until October that year. He acquired Caesar’s dog tag at a 2 RAR Trackers reunion in October 1987.
    AWM

Kai-Petri likes this.
  8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

9. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

There's a book on the USMC War Dogs written by a veteran turned lieutenant. 1st Platoon was trained by a Hollywood trainer. 2nd & 3rd Platoon was more suitably trained.