Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Any preppers out there?

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by A-58, May 13, 2015.

1. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

On sticking with limited calibers, that's a great idea! I used to be a .45 snob, and still have several 1911s, but The Browning Hi Power lured me away like an exotic European stripper from a stout Midwestern farm girl. I recently bought a 9mm carbine and it's surprising how much range you can get from standard 9mm ammo with that longer bore. You gain about 200 fps over pistol velocities, so essentially standard 9mm becomes hot +P ammo, and +P ammo becomes crazy hot +P+ ammo. I don't know what +P+ ammo would get you, because I worry about wearing out gun actions with too hot ammo.
    With standard ammo, that carbine will easily make head, er, coyote, sized groups at 100 yards with essentially no drop if zeroed at 25 yards. +P ammo extends the range to 150 yards. I'm currently awaiting some specialty 9mm ammo designed for carbines using very slow pistol powders (to take advantage of that long barrel) that claims to reach out to 200 yards, and does that with fairly low pressure just taking advantage of the longer burn time.
    I have a number of guns in a variety of calibers, but if I didn't and was thinking of just two guns, a handgun and a long gun, I think two 9mms might be a good choice. 9mm ammo is cheap and plentiful, and since so many of these 9m carbines are hitting the market right now the competition makes them quite inexpensive compared to ARs and what-not. The other cool thing is that many of these carbines use the same magazines as common handguns, so just that much more interchangeability.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Some folks, children of old friends, were in Somali when it was exciting. They monitors the gangs and watched who did better than the rest. They're still working on a final report for that, GPO will have it eventually.

The prime observation they brought away concerned commonality of ordnance.

And I'm proud to say that generation was every bit as crazy as we were.

3. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I've just watched 'Doomsday Preppers' on Netflix.
    It is often, unintentionally (I think...), very funny.
    Particularly the chap shooting his thumb off...

Though I come away with the thought that there must be some very much more sorted people out there that wouldn't dream of appearing on a programme.

4. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Well, my wife is out of town so I drove to Winn-Dixie and bought myself a 4 oz filet which I grilled, along with a few potatoes ......does that count as being a prepper? I am afraid I would not last long. off the grid and I grew up a farm boy.

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Saw a show where an ex Seal had dug caches of food about 100 miles apart and then showed how running a tractor over the hole didn’t cave it in...and he concealed the entrance very well...
    He had made 5 sniper suits, one for every season and a general one...showed his stuff to the camera, I gotta say I didn’t see him in any of the shots until he moved. Anyway, his plan was to use his ranch more or less like a spider trap...if people moved in, he would snipe one or two through the windows at night nd then disappear back into the bush...wait til the next night and repeat...
    I found myself wondering what defence there was from that except leaving..
    I remember one woman had bought hundreds of dried meals and put them into tubs...just add water...thought it was the best idea I had heard yet to get through a year (or more) without food distribution...bottled water is easy to buy in bulk these days too...
    Of course, those that have bought old bunkers and done them up are the ultimate preppers...

As an after thought, Darwin has a big uptake in solar...we have more sun than most of the world, so it makes sense, not to mention the high cost of power these days. Give it 20 years and most houses up here will have their own power...this changes many post apocalyptic scenarios...people being responsible for their own power is a big step in civilisation IMO...there’s more to come.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

You never know....

[​IMG]

TD-Tommy776 likes this.