Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

At Least Three Police Officers Shot, Killed in Baton Rouge

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by Slipdigit, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Mutley

Mutley Active Member

A-58, I hear what your saying. You'd probably right about the press and what they choose to focus on.

While im writing, wasn't there others injured that day? Does anybody know of their progress? As usual the media moves on so quickly and we never really hear too much about those injured or left fighting for their lives sadly.

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Here's what one great American has to say about the media making the US look bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7OlBdFIxbk

McCabe likes this.
  3. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

Two Leos have been shot in San Diego .

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Since the Alton Sterling shooting on July 5th, there have been 9 black males shot graveyard dead at the hands of other black males here in Baton Rouge. Where are the demonstrations? Where are the riots? Where is Jessie Jackson? Where is Al Sharpton? Where is the Black Lives Matter people? Where is el presidente and his attorney general? Where is the media and their yellow journalism? Black lives only matter with these folks only when white police officers are involved.

To answer your question about the other casualties in the ambush, there were 3 WIAs in addition to the 3 KIAs. Two of the injured suffered minor to moderate injuries. One was treated and released, and the other on spent several days in the hospital before being released. The third one is in critical condition still, and is having a hard time of it. Thanks for asking.

LJAd likes this.
  5. denny

denny Member

Typical/ Racist/Uneducated BS. When a "black man kills a black man" the people are arrested, go to trial, and are sentenced to prison.
    When your poor, picked-on, white cops continually shoot (in the back Oscar Grant) Younger/Darker/Unarmed males.......Nobody would have believed Rodney King if it had not been caught on film.
    Prior arrest, traffic violations, etc etc, Do Not give Nazis the right to shoot people.
    The usa was built on genocide, racism and hate.
    It has never been rectified. What do you think happens to all the slaves when they are no longer Needed/Wanted.? We created this mess, and deserve the downfall that is coming.
    Hitler tried all this crap 70 years ago..... The World took notice and fought back.
    Like Mumia says.....we are still building slave ships today.
    God Bless :)

toki2 likes this.
  6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

How is it "typical/racist/uneducated BS" when what I pointed out is true? There is NO concern when blacks kill black, but "those concerned" go into conniption fits when a white police officer is involved. Sad but true.

7. belasar

belasar Court Jester

A kernel of truth wrapped in a bushel of waffle.

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The newspaper in the local large city in the center of Alabama provides a yearly total, etc of the murders committed in the previous year and that list is available through at least 2013, which is as far as I researched.

With the rare (and I mean rare) exception, the murders are black males shooting other black males. In 2013, there were a record-setting number of murders, 50, and 49 of those were black males shooting mostly other black males, with the occasional death of black women. in 2014, there were 35, 2015, 44. So far in 2016, there have been 22 murders. Again, almost without fail, these deaths have been the result of a black male shooting another black male.

Not a word has been expressed by the local black citizens, which is about 60% of the population, about this issue. Nothing, No marches. No town hall meetings, No public calls for action. No editorials written. Not a damn thing.

In February, a police officer noticed an individual walking at 3 a.m. in a high crime area that had been experiencing a large number of burglaries. The person walking was also carrying a piece of metal that looked like a prying tool. The policeman stopped the individual and in the course of investigating, the individual assaulted the officer and fled. The officer pursued the assailant on foot and ultimately shot him. The local DA caved to the howls of injustice and pulled a Marylin Mosby (aka a "Nifong"), charging the officer with murder.

Where have been the howls about the previous 120+ murders over the previous 3 years?

Here are some numbers courtesy of Travis Clay over at Outkick the Coverage, gleaned from the DoJ website and others.

"...racial breakdown of all people killed by police in 2015:

51.3% white

27.3% black

17.8% Hispanic

(38 people were other race)

"...racial breakdowns of police killings so far in 2016 (7 Jul 2016):
    51.4% white

26.5% black

17.1% Hispanic

(23 people were other races)

"Now it's certainly true that black people represent only 12-13% of the United States population and are twice that rate in the police killings, but according to FBI data in 2014 4,224 black men were arrested and charged with murder in this country. Meanwhile 3,807 white and Hispanic men were arrested and charged with murder. This means blacks were arrested for 51.3% of all murders in 2014 despite the fact that they represent just 12% of the population. Given that the black arrest rate for violent crime also exceeds 27%, black people are actually getting shot and killed less often when they're arrested than white and Hispanic people are.

"Even if that fear isn't reflected in any of the data. For instance: white people aren't marauding down the streets killing innocent black people with wanton disregard for the law. In the most recent FBI data over 90% of black people were murdered by other black people in 2013. Just 7.5% of black murders were committed by white or Hispanic perpetrators. And the same is true for white people, 84% of all murdered white people are killed by other white people. Just 14% of white people are killed by black people. This means white people are statistically twice as likely to be killed by black people as black people are by white people.

"So I wondered how often are police killed? The stats I found were from here for 2016 and here for 2015. I did not know this many cops died in the line of duty. But when you dig into these numbers, it is interesting. Obviously, not all of these deaths are homicide, but even if you just look at the gunfire and vehicular assault deaths, you have 34 police deaths in 2016 (after you add in the 5 from Dallas). This means that almost as many cops were murdered as cops killed unarmed persons (of all colors). How is this not a story? In 2015, the number was a bit lower for the entire year (47 gunfire and vehicle assaults), but still, that is a lot of cop murderers. And I am sure other of the cop deaths are murders, but I focused on the ones that were definite murders.

"Is it just because it does not fit the narrative to cover the fact that, at least in 2016, these numbers are so close? In fact, if you look at a percentage basis, a cop is so much more likely to be killed by a citizen than an unarmed citizen is to be killed by a cop.
    There are 1.1 million officers in the USA.
    There are about
    323,730,000 people in the USA.
    There are about
    38,929,000 black Americans.

"Now here comes the math:

"2016 (so far)
    Odds as a police officer being killed by a gun or a vehicle assault: (0.00309% (34 out of 1,100,000))
    Odds as an unarmed person being killed by a cop: (0.0000108% (35 out of 323,730,000))
    Odds as an unarmed black person being killed by a cop: (0.0000308% (12 out of 38,929,000))

In other words, you are 285 times more likely to be killed as a cop by a gun or a vehicle assault than you are to be an unarmed person to be killed by a cop. And you are 100 times more likely to be killed as a cop by a gun or a vehicle assault than you are to be an unarmed black person to be killed by a cop.

"2015
    Odds as a police officer being killed by a gun or a vehicle assault: (0.00427% (47 out of 1,100,000))
    Odds as an unarmed person being killed by a cop: (0.0000287% (93 out of 323,730,000))
    Odds as an unarmed black person being killed by a cop: (0.0000967% (38 out of 38,929,000))

In other words, you are 148 times more likely to be killed as a cop by a gun or a vehicle assault than you are to be an unarmed person to be killed by a cop. And you are 43 times more likely to be killed as a cop by a gun or a vehicle assault than you are to be an unarmed black person to be killed by a cop."

"Facts matter, kids.
    Here's a final stat for you: police are 18.5 times as likely to be killed by a black man as they are to kill an unarmed black man.

"https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/expanded-homicide/expanded_homicide_data_table_6_murder_race_and_sex_of_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls"

You should also read his article about the BS protests that went on at the University of Missouri over swastika made from feces and a supposed off-campus racial slur.

Then there is the whole Marilyn Mosby fiasco.

A-58, TD-Tommy776 and USMCPrice like this.
  9. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

That's bullshit. Some, a small minority, of these cop shootings are murder or manslaughter - unjustifiable. Most of them aren't. When the facts come out (as opposed to the propaganda narrative created around each one) they are completely justifiable most of the time.

Watch the video of the guy in Baton Rouge, I mean really watch it from the viewpoint of those cops trying to get this guy under control. He's a BIG guy, he's got his right side wedged up under the edge of a vehicle. He's got a gun in his right front pocket. He's going for that gun through the whole video. The cops can't restrain that right arm because of the vehicle. They can't get the gun because it is also wedged up under the vehicle. For whatever reason (drugs, adrenaline?) the guy simply won't comply. He's looking at a fairly minor stretch in jail - felon with a gun is usually dropped or gets plead down to almost nothing. Resisting arrest. He's probably going to get two years and be out in less than one, instead he decides he's going to shoot it out.
    One cop finally decides "screw this" and shoots the guy before he ends up killing one of them. I'm not going to judge that decision made in a life-or-death moment.

Most of these shootings are like that one, or even more clearly justifiable when you actually look at the facts rather than the smokescreen of propaganda.

Other shootings (a minority of them) are just bad shoots. Murder, manslaughter, whatever. Philando Castile is one that bothers me in particular. You don't see the actual shooting in the video, but I've been in his shoes on a number occasions - carrying a gun when you get pulled over for a traffic ticket. I'm a chronic speeder because 'why the hell not' on these empty desert roads (or empty Alaska roads where I used to live), so I get pulled over and the cops (so far) have the same rural 'why the hell not" attitude, and so far have just checked me out and let me off with a warning. Anyway, in this state and the neighboring state of New Mexico you have no "duty to inform" the cop that you're carrying a gun, but most carriers will inform the cop anyway just out of courtesy. I do that. Cops usually don't even blink an eye, just say "Thanks for letting me know."
    Castile did that and got shot.
    You can hear the absolute terror in that cops voice in the aftermath. It's a guy in panic mode. It's a guy who should not be a cop. He had approached the vehicle in fear that he was approaching an armed robbery suspect, which is doubtful because the robbery had occurred four days previously. He's a small town cop out of his league and worked up about the only major crime they've had all year. He's walking up to a family - kid in the backseat, wife/GF in the passenger seat. If the cop had any sense at all he would have already ran the plate and learned the owner had no felony record, which might have made him untighten his sphincter a bit.
    Castile was a good working man. Funny, kind, caring, loving and loved. He's dead because this cop was overly worked up. He panicked.

Still, Castile is the exception, not the rule.

The ONLY problem with officer involved shootings is the way they are evaluated. Even when clearly justified, some people are not going to accept the findings because it's done internally within the same local system that employs the cop. I understand that doubt, but few of these investigations are actual whitewashes or conspiracies. Still, no business would ask their accountant to investigate embezzlement of the funds he handles...

We're going to have this anger after each shooting until states begin creating some kind of transparent, neutral board to investigate police shootings. Get knowledgeable people with impeccable legal and police backgrounds, of diverse races and with no axe to grind. Recuse any member of this board who has ties to the jurisdiction involved in a particular case. Such a board needs the power to indict if they find a shooting unjustified. And the subsequent trial should be held at the state level, not under the DA in the local jurisdiction because you are again going to have the grievance industry creating a ruckus if there is no conviction.

Anyway, that's the way I see it. Most of the backlash is created by the suspicion when the local system investigates one of their own. Change that and you change the perception. It's fair for the cop, it's fair for the public, it's transparent. I think that's the only sensible way to douse this fire.

USS Washington likes this.
  10. denny

denny Member

Again....the false dichotomy of so called Black On Black Crime.
    It has NOTHING to do with the fascist, out of control, WAY OVER Militarized police of the state.
    BLM take to the streets... That is Their Right. They are doing something about their concerns.
    If a black man murders a black man, or any other color, or commits any other crime... there is a trial and a prison sentence. No badge involved, no paid vacation for two weeks no white washing by a rigged grand jury (THAT should be abolished), no blaming the victims. Prisons are FULL of black people, We jail more people than any other first world country. Prosecuting MORE dark people is NOT the point of BLM. That is not the issue THEY are fighting. YOU do not like it for some reason...take to the streets and tell THEM how wrong they are. :)
    There IS a 400 year HISTORY of abuse in what is now called the USA. The people of Black Lives Matter know it, have lived it, are fed up with it. It is nothing new. "White People" have been denying it for 400 years.
    Like the kid said, and bears repeating.....If you do not see white privilege, that means YOU have it.
    I love it.....2 weeks of record breaking heat waves, and some genius points out that somewhere on the planet it was really cold, so how Could There Be A heat wave.?
    The change IS COMING, no matter how hard you try to stop it, those awful, racist, lying BLM people are going to sit at the front of the bus.
    The lie of the false dichotomy is always a lullaby for those that tell it. They never see it, but then, all of a sudden, it is lights out.
    Like Malcolm said.....We have had a lifetime of the white man telling us how wrong we are.....and we be puttin' a Big Stop To That Shit.
    The Pullman Porter Strike, Freedom March, Rosa Parks, Black Lives Matter...they were all hated by White Power and they helped all of our struggles against state power. God Bless Them Every One. :)
    It is democracy in action, we need more of it, not less.
    Howz Bout Those Hillary Emails..... :)

11. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

Snipers are active in Austin (Texas) : maybe again racist Leos ?(=sarcasm -

12. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

you also said this:

You perpetuated the lie that police are gunning down young black males, when in fact, the opposite is happening.

I provided numbers, you provided opinion.

You seem to be concerned about the numbers incarcerated. Don't commit the crime, then they won't be imprisoned. Do you want us to let Cartavius go free after he beats your grandmother into the next week and steals her purse just because a large number of his compadres are also in jail, also for violent crimes?

Dave55, LJAd, USS Washington and 2 others like this.
  13. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

The sheriffs deputy that was severely wounded in the ambush can breath on his own now. He has not regained consciousness yet. Not sure how long this will drag on for him.