Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bald and Bankrupt

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by Mussolini, May 17, 2019.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I am not really a 'follower' of anyone on Twitch or Youtube, but I stumbled upon 'Bald and Bankrupt' quite by accident. I had been watching another Youtubers journeys in India, and they happen to be friends.

Anyways, Mr. Bald is currently visiting Belarus. His style of adventure is very evident in his video-blogs (vblogs). He literally goes to random towns and villages and talks to the locals (he speaks some Belorussian - his ex-wife was Belorussian). Anyways, his latest video is a gem:

The Cemetery Part - reading the comments section, the old man when talking about the German Retreat...said that the ditch was filled with bodies, and there millions of flies that attracted a lot of crows. Can you imagine what it would have been like for him? Probably a kid during WW2.

A lot of the other videos from this trip in Belorussia he encounters other people who lived or experienced WW2, or Soviet life surrounding the era.

Worth a watch. He likes pointing out all things Soviet and all the Great Patriotic War memorials that every little place has, even the villages that were demolished due to Radiation (they left the memorials to WW2 behind).

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Wow, what a coincidence. I also follow Bald & Bankrupt, at least when his latest looks interesting. A few weeks ago he made one titled something like "Take the Gopnik Test" that had me laughing out loud. A Gopnik (I learned) is something like a wannabe rapper here. They wear cheap Puma track suits, drink beer, borrow cigarettes from anyone passing by and generally try to be a nuisance to normal people. He and a pretty assistant dressed up like Gopniks and annoyed people all over Minsk for the day. Funny, funny, stuff!

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Another episode comes to mind called (something like) "I Get Drunk With Babuskas." He meets some old ladies in a village in Moldova and invites himself to their house to drink the local home-made wine. While drinking one of them tells him about how her and her entire family got deported to Siberia by Stalin. She's totally deadpan about it, like "Oh, you know, everybody was getting sent to the camps in those days. It was no big deal and they let us come back a dozen years later. You want to try some of my home-made vodka now."

It's an interesting world once you get beyond the tourist traps.

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I love watching Russian car crash videos. Not because of that accidents, though that's amusing in itself. What cracks me up is the wholehearted acceptance of capitalism.