Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Battle for Guadalcanal

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by BobB, Feb 26, 2019.

1. BobB

BobB New Member

I consider myself a WWII history nut however, I learn of new stories and tales every day so I am far far from an expert. I am doing some research for a friend whose uncle was with the US Armies 164th regiment, the first soldiers to arrive on Guadalcanal. The 164th IR along with the 182nd IR and 132nd IR formed the only ID overseas in New Caledonia, the 23rd ID.
    1. How can I find out what battle and what day her Uncle Willard Joseph Coulter died he was listed as DOW. He was from Kidder County ND and his serial number is 20710802
    2. Does anyone know anything about Two Patches Flash? or 2 Patches Flash?

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Found this
    Willard Coulter
    Birth 11 Aug 1921
    Death 25 Nov 1942 (aged 21)
    Burial
    Dawson Cemetery
    Kidder County, North Dakota

3. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

The 164th was a North Dakota national Guard unit. The3d Bn 164th participated in the big fights of 24-27 October. These are the same fights where John Basilone got his Medal of Honor (night of 24/25 October), and Mitchell Paige got his Medal of Honor (night of 25/26October). On the night of 24/25 October, the Japanese began attacking a narrow sector of line held by 1st Battalion, 7th Marines. 1/7's lines had been extended and spread thin to cover an extended area so other more likely points of attack could be reinforced. The Japanese attack commenced at 0030 and the area hit included Bloody Ridge/Edson's Ridge which had seen desperate combat back in September. The 164th was in reserve and positioned to the left of the area hit. They were ordered to make a difficult night movement to come up behind and support 1/7. As soon as elements of the 164th Infantry arrived in the area behind Puller's men he had them fed piecemeal into his lines to plug holes. By 0330 the battalion had completed their movement and the balance were behind Puller's position. The soldiers continued to be fed into the Marines lines where needed and the fighting continued until 0700 in the morning of the 25th. The soldiers fought so well, that the Marines, who were generally less than impressed by the fighting ability of many US Army units, took to calling them the 164th Marines. Their commanding officer, Lt. Col. Robert Hall was awarded the Navy Cross (a rare thing for a US Army officer) and the CG 1st Marine Division, General Alexander Vandegrift recommended the 164th for a unit citation.