Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Been given a Nazi flag off of the Altmark, just a question!

Discussion in 'Other Militaria' started by dengwill, Dec 29, 2008.

1. dengwill

dengwill Member

Hi, I was amazed when my Grandad handed me this flag and told me it was off the supply ship to the General Graff Spree, the Altmark! He has a neighbour who's brother was on the HMS Cossack when they captured the Altmark and cheekily nicked it off of the mast!

I just wanted to know if this was a Bow or Stern flag? I don't know if german supply ships had two flags or just the one, so If anyone could give me a little help to identify which flag it is. It is the standard Nazi flag, still with its rope and metal hoop. It is quite big but not the kind of size you would get on a battleship.

Many thanks in advance!

Also, I have attached a picture of the markings on the side can anyone make out what it says the maker is?

Attached Files:

2. hucks216

hucks216 Member

As she was still at sea it may well of been from her main mast rather then the bow or stern ones (in the Royal Navy the bow and stern masts for the flags are called Staffs - no idea what the Germans called theirs!)
    If that is a flag from the Altmarck taken during her boarding then that is a significant piece of history you have. Any chance of a picture showing the full flag?

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

We'd certainly appreciate to see this piece of history

4. RAM

RAM Member

Very interesting indeed, especially since the HMS Cossack raided the Altmark in Norwegian waters, and probably was the final incident that convinced Hitler that an invasion of Norway was necessary.

To me it looks like:
    "????her Fahnenfabrik"
    "Bonn zu ??"

Anyone able to read any more or anything else?

RAM

5. dengwill

dengwill Member

Hi, thanks everyone for your help. RAM, there's some good reading going on there, cheers!

I've got a few pictures, one of each side, another of the writing (not much better) and a close up of the stitching. There's quite a lot of stitching at the end of the flag that reduces its length slightly and I'm not sure if this is a shame, or makes it even more authentic! I have been told that this stitching was present on the flag when it was taken.

More info would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

6. hucks216

hucks216 Member

It certainly has the 'been there' look. I hope you don't mind but I have posted this on another site that has a dedicated flag section, so they might be able to give you some additional information. Have you ever considered donating it to a museum?

www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330179

7. RAM

RAM Member

Thanx for the last pictures!
    From what I can interpret in my imagination it looks like:

"Balcher/ or Belcher Fahnenfabrik"
    "Bodd & Eck"

But I wouldn't bet my life on it.
    Any other suggestions?

RAM

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The only thing I could make out is that the flag was made in Bonn, can't make out the rest. Nice used flag though.

9. hucks216

hucks216 Member

As has been mentioned in the other forim the marker on the flag is the maker BONNER FAHNENFABRIK - a company that made flags during WW2 and still do!

10. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

11. dengwill

dengwill Member

Thanks for the maker name! And yeah that could be the flag! But I can never be sure, I think it was the bow, who knows!

The guy on the other forum doesn't seem to believe it's from the Altmark. Yet, the seaman's sister is still alive (who gave it to me) and there's also a journal about the whole event. Furthermore, It was likely that there were 2 or 3 flags present on the ship, so I could have any of them.

Sorry, getting a bit annoyed...

12. hucks216

hucks216 Member

Don't let it get to you. I think the other guy was speaking as a dealer and with that in mind I can see where he is coming from but with the seaman's sister still alive you have the chance of getting some provenance for the item, especially with the addition of the journal. Personally speaking, I have no reason to doubt what you say and I continue to think that you have a significant piece of history in your possession. Just be aware of any dealers getting in touch offering just $150 for it!! I'm sure there are a few flags from the Altmark out there, taken from her at various stages of the war but they do not have the significance that they were taken during the boarding. I'm sure the IWM London (or the Maritime Museum in Greenwich) would like to see it (and the journal).

13. dengwill

dengwill Member

Hi again!

I've been doing some research to try and reach some sort of conclusion. Thanks everyone for your help, it's been able to give me some sort of idea.

Basically, i've attached 2 pictures of the Altmark Stern Flag, and this is definitely showing the Kriegsmarine flag, as it has extra decoration and the eagle in the top corner. Secondly, the flag I have (as big as it is) is too small to be the Stern flag, and matches the size a Bow flag would be, or even the mast flag.

I have looked and looked for a good picture of the Bow, showing the flag and every photo has the mast but no flag (could have been taken??!!), so then I found this picture of a german battle ship (pic no. 3) and this ship has the KM stern flag (if you look closely) and then your usual Nazi flag flying at the bow. This is why I have come to my conclusion it is the bow flag.

I can never be certain, but I was originally told by the seaman's sister that it was the bow flag. Maybe the words were mixed up and it is a flag from the Altmark (i.e. inside from the crew) but I'll never know. All the same, I think it's a nice bit of history, wherever it came from!

Thanks again

Attached Files: