Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Best al round bolt-action rifle of WWI?

Discussion in 'Non-World War 2 History' started by liang, Mar 14, 2004.

1. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    US Rifle Model of 1917.

I have a Mauser, M1903 and Enfield as well. Of those, I would choose the 1917.

2. liang

liang New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Interesting, I only knew of the 1903, how does the 1917 compared to the original Springfield? I imagine it's still bolt-action, 5-round cartride......

3. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The M1917 is nothing more than a P14 Enfield chambered in .30-06 caliber rather than .303 caliber. It was made by the same companies that made the P14 and is commonly known as the American Enfield.

The P14 was made by Winchester, Remington and Eddystone. It was designed by Enfield but war conditions being what the were, the British arms factories didn't have time or material to begin building the newly designed rifle. They contracted with American arms makers to build the rifles while they built the SMLE.

When America entered WW1, there was a serious shortage of '03s. The makers of the P14 were contracted by the War Department to convert the P14 to fire the US .30-06 service cartridge. The new rifle was adopted as the US Rifle,Caliber .30, Model of 1917. The P14/M1917 was the most produced rifle during the war (supposedly). SGT Alvin York carried a M1917 in France when he captured all of those Germans.

Great info here:
    http://www.odcmp.com/Forms/M1917.pdf