Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

best commander of all times

Discussion in 'Non-World War 2 History' started by ray243, Aug 21, 2005.

1. 2ndLegion

2ndLegion New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ok I concede that Harold in all probability would have lost to William had he contested William's story. Still even by the main Norman Historians William did force Harold into that oath.

Still even if you had what passed for military training at the time seeing Saxons that you heard stories about in a massive and well organized shield wall, and screaming Out at you over and over again would be pretty intimidating.

Worth it in order to break a shield wall. Like a Phalanx a Shield Wall would make any force attempting to break it up pay a much higher price then friendly fire. Then again since William himself was fighting in the frontline with his men he certainly would not have given the order for his archers to fire as his troops advanced.

I'm still looking, I will get back to you on it. Although looking back it seems like it would have been best had the two of them dueled for the throne instead of fighting a war with each other, afterall dueling instead of warring was how Romulas and Remus settler the dispute on who the king is.

Definately.

2. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Absolutely - though there are at least 3 different locations where it was supposed to have taken place! :D

No argument from me there.

Possibly. But then the idea of settling disputes by duel does (and did) allow big strong men to do what they liked, to the cost of little weak men.
    Admittedly Harold, Harald & William were all known to be big strong men & well versed in combat, but the above reason is why the English did not use the system.

Thanks. :)