Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

bombing lorient pens

Discussion in 'Submarines and ASW Technology' started by peterwood, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Takao

Takao Ace

A speeding B-2? Isn't that an oxymoron...I didn't know there was such a thing.

Seriously though, I would have to say yes, especially if you need to penetrate several feet, or floors for that matter. Also, I think the aircraft's speed would be less of a factor as opposed to the aircraft's height, since the B-2 is not a divebomber.

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hi Gaines I saw the pens in Lorient and they used both blocks that were agglomerated together with concrete and steel bars , but also smaller pieces molded into concentre. The later were used on roofs and there were even pikes on them to make the bombs bounce at the last moment . There were also small craters in the concrete for similar purpose. The Norwegian granite has a stronger density the the Breton on and is slighty more pinkish in colour. I don't think the Norvegian granite was imported too massively, due to immense weight, costs and risks to sail stones and waste logistics for others.

3. Admiral_Humaid

Admiral_Humaid New Member

I love the community here...Just had to say it cos I've been other forums where everything is(period)just(period)mucked(period)up(period)
    ;)

Skipper likes this.
  4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

That's possibly a reason why I'm here too