Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Book Ideas

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Annie in Idaho, Jan 19, 2023.

1. tlderks

tlderks New Member

OpanaPointer,

Thanks for the likes. I interviewed a few Old Salts back in the late '90s that were on the destroyer Shubrick which was bombed by the Nazi when it was in Italian waters and then got hit by a Kamikaze off of Okinawa. What amazed me most was the discipline of men who stayed at their posts while hell was raining down on their vessel. Someone below deck could only guess at the carnage on deck until it reached them directly.

TLDerks

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I was a pit snipe, engineroom crew, and all hell could be breaking loose up there we'd hardly notice. On the gripping hand I worked in the spaces submarine skippers aimed at. I fought a bilge fire once that backs up into a corner before the fire parties reached us. My shoes started to stick to the deck plates. Still have the burn scars on my feet.

3. tlderks

tlderks New Member

OpanaPointer,

Wow. I admire your discipline.
    My dad was a gunner on merchant ships but he never saw any action, as he put it he spent most of his time in the Caribbean or in the brig. On the other hand, my grandfather was at the barber's one day during the war when someone cracked about soldiers and sailors being chumps for fighting. My grandfather apparently cleaned the floor with the guy.
    So, from your time in the Navy, did you make it to Vietnam? My dad, who was by that time a merchant marine himself, saw more action in Vietnam than in World War II. A couple of small boats approached the ship and the gun crews opened up on them.

Thank you for your service.
    Tracy Derks

4. OpanaPointer

I was on the river for a few years, blown out of there and woke up in Balboa Naval Hospital. Induced coma was new then so they didn't know if the effort was worth it. They woke me up in the PI and tested my cognitive functions, then put me back to sleep. I woke up fully seven weeks after the event that put me out of action.

Biak likes this.
  5. OpanaPointer

Pro Tip: Never wake up with CDC guys asking if they can take pictures.

tlderks likes this.