Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Discussion in 'Call of Duty' started by mikebatzel, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

The game looks ACE!

2. macker33

macker33 Member

Modern warfare 2 will suck.now you know.

3. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

modern warfare 2..so! did anyone buy it last night? and what is it like,generally as good as the other cod's,as my grandson will want it for xmas,ray..

4. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

No one knows - for some reason STEAM is monopolizing on games and requires you to Register the game using STEAM before you can play it, but apparently no one can do that despite it's release being today. I didn't get the game - will wait to hear how the MP is (its been consolized) - but a friend did and he is going crazy since everytime he enters the activation key, it says its invalid. Everyone on the forums he is on is having the same problem.

Reason #9589753457938573475309573847 to HATE STEAM.

5. Mussolini

Apparently Activation finally works.

6. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

thanks matt,wait to hear how it plays,it looked good from trailer's shown last night,apart from the massacre! that had some criticism aimed at it for being in the game...

7. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

Please explain "consolized" before I go crazy.

8. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Ray, If it is for a child, you may want to pass on this one. I was shocked last night when I began playing the single player campaign to find a level in which you are a terrorist who's mission is to shoot as many civilians as possible in an airport. I couldn't believe it. To give a little credit, there is a selection you must make about skipping the level, or playing on, but still, Shooting up civilians?

On-line play they tweaked a little bit. You can now unlock and customize your Kill streak perks (you get a tactical nuke at 25 kills), and there are bonuses for when you do poorly (die three consecutive times without scoring a kill and receive 10 seconds of extra health).

For the most part it's simply the next installment of the same game. Nothing major has changed at all.

9. Karma

Karma Member

This upcoming Veteran's Day will be a MW2 heyday for kids in the United States...

10. Mussolini

By consolized I mean they have turned the MP into what it is like for people who play on Consoles - no dedicated servers or mods, random grouping together of players based on 'skill', no clan servers, etc.

11. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

thanks mike,yeh there were concerns to the massacre in airport,I take it it's ott mike,thanks for info,ray..

12. Mussolini

Its a very controversial scene, you're allowed to skip it, but apparently it is very relevant to the story line which is why it was included.

13. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Yes you do have the option to skip the level, but it asked me at the begining of the campaign as opposed to before the level began. Not knowing what it was concerning, I said don't skip. Despite it being a video game I just couldn't bring myself to mowing down large numbers of civilians. I finished the level without firing a shot.

14. Mussolini

I'll probably pick up the game today, but will play the level. I'm not aware of its context in the overall plot yet and apparently there is no summary of the level if you skip it. Its controversial, but its also a video game - no different then Grand Theft Auto series IMO.

15. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

Since I got it yesterday I put in about 10 hours or more. LOVE IT.

16. Mussolini

I have to go against the grain here. The storyline and visual presentation are great. The AI still sucks. I have been shot in the back or from the side several times and have watched the enemy walk within feet of the friendly AI, shooting me, but drawing no attention from the friendly AI. This is especially frustrating when I am in a good position or cover from the front, expecting that the "new and improved" AI is capable enough to take care of people on the far flank or the ones who run across the open and into our rear. Yeah, not so much 'improved' I see.

Secondly, I feel like I have played all the levels before. Running on rooftops, not engaging enemies, to jump into a helicopter - remains me of the Ship level from Modern Warfare 1. Assaulting the White House through a series of trenches - reminds me of Assaulting the Reichstag, or assaulting that building in Stalingrad from previous COD titles. Sniping in the Snow in Russia feels very much the same as Sniping in the Fields in Russia from the previous MW game. Defending the just-secured house in the woods for a set time limit feels exactly like doing the exact same thing in MW1.

So while the presentation, grahpics, and weapons all look great, the levels feel like they are being reused from previous installments of the game and tweaked to fit the current storyline.

17. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I concur...........a lot of recycled content. Same car different tires.

18. Mussolini

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Sure, the level of detail, and the originality of combat in the US is refreshing, but it just carries over the whole "already-done" type of feeling.

I believe its the assault on the Reichstag, and also in an older COD where you assault Pavlov (i think thats the map name) in the snow, both levels involving you running up to the building through trenches and craters (manned by friendly soldiers) while under fire, with the target building in ruins and occupied the enemy. In MW2, this exact same thing happsn, involving the White House. Almost identical, really, in how it plays out.

The next level of course is clearing out the building, floor by floor, with the Reichstag and White House being more similar to each other then the Pavlov map in this instance. Of course, in the Reichstag, you end by waving the Russian Flag from the roof, but in MW2 you end by waving green flares from the roof!

19. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

I am quite sure that some of those similarities are intended.....

20. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

It's not too unlike watching "The Rock" with Sean Connery with a script pulled from "Generation Kill", a sprinkling of "Red Dawn" and a pinch of "Rambo III". Not too difficult to find the inspiration for this game.

I am not to big on the "gee whiz high speed low drag whistles and bells" though. I do like the ability to man the guns (during online play) of the AC 130 and Helicopter gunships. The predator drones are pretty nifty as well.

I keep waiting for Sgt. Folley to say : "How'd you get the beans above the franks?"