Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Caribbean Naval Bases

Discussion in 'Atlantic Naval Conflict' started by Jerome, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Jerome

Jerome Member

will pm you with details

2. Jerome

Jerome Member

Trini Aviator: you have not enabled private message or email. PM me instead with your email and will send my email & cell number or try the Chaguaramas Military Museum at 634-4391. I am usually there on Wed & Fri

3. fast1

fast1 Member

hmm jerome you do this for a living or as a hobby?[​IMG]

4. Jerome

Jerome Member

When I am physically at the Museum, I am paid a small stipend for those days - the other days I spend researching (many long hours into the night) is at my own expense - so I guess the best answer is No I don't do it for a living and neither would I call it a hobby - it is perhaps more a debt of honour to acknowledge and commemorate all those brave men & women who served and died. It is my ultimate goal to have my data placed on the Museum website - when it is seriously re-vamped- and so make it freely available.

5. Trini Aviator

Trini Aviator recruit

I think i found the location

6. Jan7

Jan7 Member

Where? Show this location by Google Maps, or other similar please......:D

Jan.

7. Trini Aviator

Trini Aviator recruit

8. Michael111

Michael111 recruit

Jerome,

I was very interested in your information about American bases in Trinidad. Do you have any information about the Trinidad/Trinidad and Tobago Volunteers? They were a locally raised unit with 2 battalions. The 1st battalion was sent overseas but the war ended before the 2nd could be sent. My father and uncle both served in the 2nd battalion, but I can find little or nothing about the unit on the web. I have seen pictures of the men in uniform guarding military installations in Trinidad but there is no information around.

Any help would be appreciated.

9. Jerome

Jerome Member

My apologies for my long absence. What started as a simple request for a list of Trinidad aircrew in ww2, somehow got terribly out of hand!!

I have placed on this website, Caribbean Roll of Honour the names of those West Indians killed in both world wars. I am still working on it, but thought it best to post my data in the public domain just in case. For information on Caribbean RAF Aircrew visit this site Caribbean Aircrew in the RAF.

urqh likes this.
  10. Jan7

Jan7 Member

Dear Jerome:

Seems a big task:rolleyes:.

I wish to you the best luck for your websites:cool:!

Jan.

11. Jerome

Jerome Member

This photo of a PBM Mariner, was I am told, taken over Trinidad. I have my doubts. The nose number 212 P2 seem to indicate 212 Sqn (VP212) but I can find no such USN Squadron. Can anyone help?

[​IMG]

12. Jan7

Jan7 Member

13. Jerome

Jerome Member

14. Jan7

Jan7 Member

You are welcome, Jerome!

Jan.

15. Jan7

Jan7 Member

16. Jerome

Jerome Member

VP 204 Squadron photograph.

[​IMG]

17. Stinson AT19

Stinson AT19 Member

Anybody have info on the aircraft of the Fleet Air Arm 752 Squadron? I am particularly interested in the Stinson AT19. I heard a BBC4 Broadcast that indicated that many airplanes were dumped into the ocean at the end of the war, particularly the Barracuda - just curious if the Reliant was included in that group.
    Thanks,

18. Jerome

Jerome Member

I am not sure about the Reliant - I have been awol from the Museum for the last fortnight - but will check next week as to what types of a/c were dumped and location. I have uploaded some 752 Sqn photos on my site (see address in post 29 above), as well as 750 Sqn

19. Jan7

Jan7 Member

Dear Stinson:

Following, please explain your investigations in this thread.......:D

Jan.

20. Stinson AT19

Stinson AT19 Member

Hi Jan,
    Thanks - this is a great site! I have looked thru the Fleet Air Arm Archive - they have alot of great stuff there. I have been researching the histories of all 500 Stinson AT-19's built. Both during the war and in their civilian life afterwards. I own 5 of the airplanes of which one is flying and one I am restoring. The flying airplane flew with 752 Squadron at Piarco. When I went thru the planes paperwork it still had the original Air Corp log of its flight from Detroit to Trinidad and also many of the Royal Navy logbooks from it's time in Trinidad. I am doing the restoration as accurate as I can be to the original FAA configuration. I have found all of the original UK equipment that was installed; radios, camera & drive motor, headsets/microphones, even the correct Air Ministry electrical connectors and fittings.

Thanks again for all your help - I am a "self-proclaimed" computer idiot so let me know when I do something wrong