Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

'Combat Dealers' on TV - militaria goes celebrity

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Martin Bull, May 15, 2014.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Just a heads-up for UK members ( and I think it can be seen in some European countries ) about the new series 'Combat Dealers' showing on Discovery and Quest channels.

It's a not-too-serious 'fly on the wall' look at the activities of one of the UK's foremost WWII militaria collector/dealers, Bruce Crompton. It's very funny, and also fascinating to anyone anyone interested in Axis militaria and vehicles. If they do a DVD when the series finishes, I'll buy it................

2. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

I watched it last night and although it seemed to be the usual orchestration of prices been agreed beforehand and the haggling done purely for the camera, it was entertaining.

It was also good to see some of the items that were up for sale at the military auction held in Caen earlier this year.

Hitler's car is now on my 'must buy' list once I win the lottery, as is a Kettenkrad...a sea mine...a German field kitchen...etc...etc...

3. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Rapidly becoming my favourite programme. Crompton & his ilk having fascinated for ages.

Yeah, it's shouty in that Quest sort of way, sometimes wince-makingly contrived, but they plainly know their stuff beneath the bluster don't they, and my god the vehicles & kit on show - many of which are so familiar from shows etc.

Their website:
    Axis Track Services

Friendface page:
    https://www.facebook.com/axistrack?fref=ts

4. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

Thought all those tanks and stuff would get you excited, Adam!

I have visions of you drooling in front of the telly...

[​IMG]

5. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

'Bout right, John.
    It's all the gear and personalities that we've speculated about for years, isn't it.
    Very much a closed world, the high end collector (of anything I suppose), lovely to get a glimpse, even with the shouty Nat geo veneer.

Three kettenkrads, but it's the D7 I'm most jealous of; bit funny about D7s, always thought they'd look nice in gloss black...

6. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

7. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

Any idea on the what the film is that he hired all his stuff out to? It was referred to as a Hollywood Blockbuster.

8. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I said on Friendface, mate. Brad Pitt 'Fury' thing.

Though...
    ...I often forget to hit send on Friendface.

9. Martin Bull

Apparently tonights' instalment has a D-Day theme......I'm looking forward to it for the laughs : Mr Crompton and his sidekick are TV naturals......

10. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

I think you forgot to hit send ;)

11. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

Can't wait to see it :unsure:

12. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I am often quite pissed...

Shut it.
    We know you will never be happy with any film unless or until it's called;
    "Something to do with the exclusively British Army view of the 1940 fighting in France & Flanders with particular reference to SS atrocity & general levels of BEF efficiency or otherwise. Complete with addendum on the widely misunderstood historiography of the WW2 BEF."

That film.
    Will never be made.
    NEVER.
    Because Hollywood... hates you.

I like his taciturn Para side-kick, complete with NDs, but can't quite work out how 'Hus' fits into the scheme of things.
    If he knew as little as his TV persona, I'd be quite surprised he lasted so long as an assistant.

Drew5233 and formerjughead like this.
  13. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

The BEF doesn't exist to Hollywood. I would settle for a modern remake of Dunkirk though......When I win the Euro 10 times rollover I will make it so. As well as the 25 volume work on every unit in France in 1940

14. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Trying to turn things around to the BEF won't always work y'know.
    Anything allied 1940 on COMBAT DEALERS yet?
    ;)

15. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Dingo-tastic.
    Lovely thing.

Will they demo the full speed reverse?
    Saw it once at a show.
    Remarkable.

16. Martin Bull

If he knew as little as his TV persona, I'd be quite surprised he lasted so long as an assistant.

I think a certain 'suspension of disbelief' is needed when watching ! Very entertaining this week I thought. I enjoy watching Mr C haggling, and I get a small buzz whenever they find something ( small, of course ! ) that I have in my own collection, like the late-war Para helmet and 3rd Pattern F-S knife..... :dance4:

17. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Naturally on the willing suspension, but you do find yourself trying to penetrate the TV blather.

I think Mr Crompton might be forcing wider cracks in the secretive world of high end vehicle-age with this series. Seems to be a LOT of better views of people's assorted restorations on the Internet. That Axis Friendface page is linking to some corking sttuff.

18. Martin Bull

This programme has become a 'do not miss' for me....last nights' episode was especially good as it showed some of Bruce Crompton's European 'picking trips' - picking over piles of Wehrmacht 'junk' which included a very secondhand-looking 1941-dated Nebelwerfer. And watching his team reactivating a PAK 40 was fun.

It's the last one next week - then what am I going to do...? :zombie2:

19. Martin Bull

Returning to this because Quest TV have been running repeats of this series which is definitely a TV highlight of 2014 for me.

I do find it funny, and among some of my militaria-collecting mates expressions such as 'Yer avin' a larrrfff !' and 'See my face drop ?' are now de rigeur.....

20. The Great Greek

The Great Greek Sock Puppet

On the subject of Americans making films about the BEF, it really should the the Brits that come up with a film to finally give the BEF their due.

I'm not being nasty, but maybe Americans see the whole 1940 'thing' as a bit of a 'cock up'. Maybe American audiences couldn't stomach anything made to show the Brits or the French in any other light than as incompetent second place getters in a contest that their cousins had to be called in to finish to a satisfactory conclusion.

If you want my opinion, (and you probably don't), I believe that American audiences simply could not 'get' something like "A Bridge Too Far", because the Allies did not finish the film urinating in the Rhine, (as Georgie Patton did), or ending up at the Berghof, (as Lt. Winters did in Speilburg's "Brothers in Arms"). Americans still want a happy ending, in the true Hollywood 'style', even if it is only Matt Damon and a few extras that make it through. They want to see someone come home to build highways, and make America into the powerhouse "Camelot" of the Kennedy era.

The idea that a film about Dunkirk could have a happy ending inside four hours is anathema. We need a Sir Richard Attenborough to handle and do justice to the subject.

Sorry, off topic. Hope this new show comes to our shores.