Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

D-Day Flag

Discussion in 'Other Militaria' started by JoeSmith, Nov 26, 2016.

1. JoeSmith

JoeSmith New Member

Hi All

I'm new here so I hope I'm in the right place. I'm hoping someone can tell me anything about a flag. I have three flags in total, 2 French Tricolors and one additional one. They came from the same place and, I'm told, were made by someone who lived in the town of Avranches and was waved in gratitude at the celebration shortly after D-Day following the liberation of the town. One of the flags is completely different however in that it's yellow and red and has two planes with RAF roundels on the wings. This is the one I'm hoping someone can tell me anything about. Is it simply someone's home made flag with a plane design or does it symbolise something else?

I've added a photo. I hope that helps and I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Kind regards

Attached Files:

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The aircraft makes think of a Sopwith Camel. So you could look for a RAF squadron that adopted this symbol back in the day when the RAF was still the RFC and the Sopwith the emblematic aircraft of the British.

[​IMG]

3. JoeSmith

JoeSmith New Member

Thank you Skipper. That's an excellent suggestion. I'll go down that route and see what I can come up with.

Kind regards

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You're welcome, it's the tailsection that immediately made me think of a Sopwith . Hope my lead is the right one.