Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

David M. Glantz's Massive new Stalingrad Trilogy

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Wolfy, Jun 3, 2009.

1. lwd

lwd Ace

2. Sean Hansen

Sean Hansen New Member

Yeah, it doesn't really make any sense...

Well, we'll just have to see...

Sean Hansen

3. L-Raiser

L-Raiser Member

Volume 3.2 it's still at the site, at least i have it in my wish list and my basket, am planning on ordering both by the end of the month.

Cheers

4. Sean Hansen

Sean Hansen New Member

Yeah, sorry, I've also found it again...

I'm seriously looking forward to when it is possible to get a preview of the books! Especially I'm interested in seeing how David Glantz is able to spend some 600+ pages only on the last 12 days of November. Of course Operation Uranus was a huge operation, and there is all the planning, but Glantz must have gotten his hands on huge amounts of sources for it. Also, with regard to the second book, I'm looking forward to seeing how he has broken down his chapters. I would be especially pleased if he has information about the fighting IN the city of Stalingrad after the encirclement. Finally I would also like to see where the account stops, i.e. after the surrender on the 2. of February or after the German counterattack at Kharkov in late February... Probably the first option but nevertheless I'm still interested in getting it confirmed.

At last there is also the question of to which degree Glantz has utilized the extremely good book of the German historian Manfred Kehrig, named "Stalingrad: Analyse und Dokumentation Einer Schlacht". Also the books of Jason D. Mark, but Glantz already has used those in his prior books...

Cheers!
    Sean Hansen

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I don't know how much use he made of it, but Glantz lists Kehrig's book in the bibliographies of both Vols I & II.

6. Sean Hansen

Sean Hansen New Member

Although I've only read the first volume ( planning to read the second book in about a month) I've only seen it mentioned once in any of the books. That was in a table right at the end of the main text in Armageddon in Stalingrad, where the oft-used numbers for the strength of the German divisions in Stalingrad are listed for the 11./18. November 1942... But Kehrig's book DOES in any case mainly concentrate on the timeperiod after Uranus, but nevertheless has about 50 pages on Operation Hubertus (although the operation wasn't named that, according to Jason Mark)

All the best!,
    Sean Hansen

7. Sean Hansen

Sean Hansen New Member

Finally it is possible to use the pre-view button at Amazon's, so now we can see how David Glantz has divided his description of Operation Uranus. He spends some 160 pages on the planning of the operation alone (!!) so that's certainly something. The description of the main operation consumes about 30 pages for each day, from November the 19. to November the 30, or some 350 pages. By comparison Armageddon in Stalingrad spends in average "only" some 9 pages for each day. The book then closes with a short conclusion made up of some 6 pages, which, with a high probability, will get expanded in the second book.

So I think it is no exaggeration to say that this book includes, by far, the most detailed description of this the most famous operation of the Red Army during the Second World War, in a single book. Then there's the quality of the work, which I'll only be able to comment on when I have read the book myself.

All the best for now!
    Sean Hansen