Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Does OZ owe it's freedom to the US?

Discussion in 'War in the Pacific' started by Ken The Kanuck, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member Patron  

I believe that Germany woúld of éventually conquered without the intervention of the American armed forces. But the Australians owe their freedom the the US. When Japan wäs threatening with their southward push, only the US had the resources to save Australia.

What do you think?

KTK

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I would maybe change that to only the US had the ability AND desire to defend Australia...Remember though the Aussies shouldered plenty of responsibility for our own defence. Once the battle of the Coral Sea removed too many Japanese destroyers, we were never in any trouble from there...

rkline56 likes this.
  3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

One could go further back and say that the US were responsible for Australia becoming a country...With the battle for independence won, Britain could no longer send its convicts to the US and had to finally put some capital into Sydney and Van Dieman's land (Tasmania).

4. Ken The Kanuck

Hi Cac,

I believe that the desire was shared by many more countries than OZ and the US. But the only foreign nation with the ability to stop the Japanese was the US.

KTK

5. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member Patron  

I think it's fair to say that the US support/actions prevented a possible invasion attempt, but it is too far to claim that US actions alone 'saved' Australia. Currently reading Rising Sun Victorious and it makes a good point that the failure to seize Port Moresby hinged upon a lack of will as much as limited resources. Japan could have deployed its mass of Carriers there, rather than Midway to take that and then possibly attempt landings either on the north or north east coast. The rub being they could not build up faster than the US/Australian/Commonwealth forces could and the terrain/size would stymie a vehicle poor invader. The books scenario on this does offer some intriguing possible side effects if it had come to pass though.

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Indeed...had they landed...our bush and wildlife would have eaten them up...they wouldn't have made it as far south as Katherine even. If they tried Cape York or the Kimberley...we would never see or hear from them again. And once (IF) they got as far as Brisbane they would have a sh*t fight the likes they've never witnessed...so we probably didn't need "saving"...

7. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude Patron  

There was no real possibility for Japan to successfully invade Australia. They couldn't deliver the knock-out blow to China, and it was right next door to them. New Guinea was another stumbling block as well. The overland push there was very unsuccessful, even before Mac got into the game. And they were stopped cold at Guadalcanal. Japan was at the end of their rope, and couldn't go any further.

8. Ken The Kanuck

I do not know if the China/Australia comparison works well. In 1941 Australia had 7 million people and China 82 million.

KTK

9. lwd

lwd Ace

But China was right next door and the Japanese had over extended their log network without even getting to Australia.

10. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude Patron  

My point was that the Japanese were severely over extended, and could not even seriously contemplate pushing into Oz. I think that I read that the IJN thought that they could support an invasion, but the IJA harbored no such delusions. Maybe it was the other way around. Either way, I believe that if they coulda, they woulda. Same with Operation Sea Lion.

11. Takao

Takao Ace

I think you mean China had a population of some 525 million in 1941.

12. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member Patron  

Operating 'severely over extended' was normal operating procedure for Japanese military operations as a general rule. They counted on a quick victory that would demoralize the opponent to the point they would fold. To be fair it worked against Russia in 1905 and seemed to work against the Dutch/Allies, at least initially.

My understanding was the Army wanted New Guinea, but was less enthused about points further south, then again there was strong (Army) support to go north into Russia. There was general support from the Navy to move south except for Yamamoto who insisted (to the point of threatening to resign) upon the Midway operation to have the great naval battle that was the center piece of naval strategy.

The thing is after the Coral Sea, Yamamoto had ample evidence that the USN would deploy its carriers to stop Japanese movement to points further south such as Port Moresby/New Caladonia. Save for Yamamoto's Midway target fixation, they could have both gotten their strategic naval battle and further cut off Australia for easy US support/supplies.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    A-58 likes this.