Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

End of the war on the Eastern Front?

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Eastern Front & Balka' started by Richard, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

But who would be able to carry such a heavy burden then? Perhaps a newcomer? There were some good military leaders but they were needed where they were.

2. ANZAC

ANZAC Member

Could the Allies invade France without Soviet participation???

3. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Very interesting...... At the time of the invasion the Atlantic wall had minimal garrison as most men were needed for the the war in the East. Yes there were panzer's available for support, but in comparison to the east, were in very few numbers same goes for the infantry. Also the skies over western Europe were free of the Luftwaffe. Could it have been done you ask?

My answer is that anything is possible, however where, when and how would this have been done? Most importantly is how many more resources and men would have been lost in order to accomplish this great task?

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Well, it all depends whether the Soviets would quit early 1944 or just before D-Day. Those six months have exhausted Germany and these highly experienced troops could otherwise have served in Normandy. I have the example of an elite Fallschimjäger Unit. Those guys survived Africa, then were based in France but were sent to Russia in June 1944, whereas they were desperately needed in Normandy

5. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Yes Skipper67, I am going to agree. By this time the Soviet war machine was unstoppable. With an extra 6 months of fighting on the eastern front by 1944 could easily have amounted to an extra million Germans casualties that would have been desperately needed for the West. So yes this is an important question.

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Another aspect. Suppose the Germans and the Russians cease fire, even if they do not become allies. This would allow Krupps and other companies to spare steel for U-boote and a new Atlantic battle would start.

7. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

I am going to assume that the Reich would probably invest in rebuilding their crippled Luftwaffe first, to counter the allied bombers.

Just a thought

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Right, they would probably do both. The Luftwaffe would stop the bombers, but the U-Boote the supplies, so after a while there would be less bombers

9. Richard

Richard Expert

Sorry folks I should have given it some sort of date. I was thinking of August 1944 after the Soviet success in Operation Bagration.

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

That means the allies are already deep into France. The Germans would be too weak to throw them back. They might then fortify the Siegried line until they get some more supplies, especially fuel. We could then imagine a massive Ardennes counter-Attack, with more men, more material and more fuel above all.

11. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Yes I would agree

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Well if we carry this further, it would mean the re-occupation of Antwerp, more V1 + V2 Rockets on England and the possibility of a counter-attack in Flanders to relief the Dunkirk Festung. This would definitely delay the allies, if not worse.

13. Marienburg

Marienburg Member

I really like "What If?"s but they need to be at least plausible to me and this scenario just strikes me as completely irrational, similar to asking what would happen if in 1944 the Germans suddenly received technological aid from an alien species with laser-weapon technology. By 1944 Russians were thirsting for revenge. Way, way, WAAAAY too much water under that bridge for Stalin to ever agree to stop at the borders of 1940. That would be akin to having some thugs invade your home, murder your wife, raper your daughter and then you being satisfied at merely throwing the raping thugs outside on the porch and closing the door. Even if you won't attempt to get ultimate revenge on them your son certainly will. If Stalin had tried to stop the war at that point, just when Russia had Germany on the ropes, there would have been a rebellion against him. Even a dictator like him knows that you can't go completely against the will of the people. By 1944 the only thing that was going to stop the Russian move east was the unconditional surrender of Germany.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.