Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Favorite WWII Naval Camouflage Patterns... ?

Discussion in 'Atlantic Naval Conflict' started by Hufflepuff, May 1, 2013.

1. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

What's yours? = D

Here's a few of mine...

SSOsterleyNY.jpg
    (I really hope this ^ was used as little as possible... could only make the poor blokes more seasick :D)

An 'artistic rendition' of an interesting U-Boot pattern:

camo_uboat_rendering.jpg

I've always had an affinity for these colors:
    ART-2878-A-Merchant-vessel-at-sea-during-choppy-weather-conditions.-The-ship-is-painted-in-a-dazzle-camouflage-scheme-which-incoporates-shades-of-blue-pale-green-mauve-and-also-black-and-white..jpg

What are some of yours?

2. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

My responses as an artist are rather different than my responses would likely be if I were aboard ship subject to attack by hostile forces. As an artist I enjoy as much variety as possible. I want a thousand different ships in a hundred different camouflage schemes. If I were aboard ship it would probably depend on the variety of opponent I was most likely to face. If I'm in the vicinity of effective hostile air attack I want the ship dipped in MS-21 dark blue paint please. I have no idea if anything really works against subs, but in that case it will probably depend on the time of day. Of a moonless night that dark blue still sounds appealing. In bright clear tropical sunshine some Western Approaches grade deception might work better. If Bismark is hot on my heels a graded scheme similar to Ark Royal's home fleet colors or Yorktown's MS-12 could possibly help. If I'm on a Japanese carrier I can see where I might rest easier if American fliers see turrets and believe my ship to be a surface combatant. (As long as there are obvious carriers or larger surface combatants nearby, that is.) As an artist I want it all please. Yesterday. And doubled.

3. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..did it work? it was mostly for nighttime attacks?
    [​IMG]