Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Foreign Volunteers

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by PzJgr, Feb 6, 2002.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Erich, I cannot locate the Patzwall site url but, I do have this info for you.

Email is Patzwall@t-online.de
    B.Patzwall.

Address ist:
    Publishing House Klaus B. Patzwall
    Tangstedter Weg 52
    D-22851 Norderstedt.
    Germany.

I dont know what the link is to their site is--perhapse www.patzwall.de

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I'll be darned--the link was it!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Groovy man ! There is a line you probably haven't heard in quite sometime ? !

Back at work but will check later this eve.....

E

4. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

We all know about the Wikingdivision and about dutch volunteers of the SS. Of course there were volunteers from Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, the Neetherlands, Belgium, France ( as there had been Germans in the Foreign Legion, by example the 361st infantry regiment from the 90 Panzergranadierdivision, but that is something else ), Switzerland, later Italy, Rumania, Bulgaria and one of the most important, we cannot forget the famous 150th Infanteriedivision or Blauedivision ( División Azul ), from Spain. The Spanions fought pretty well but they were smashed as the rest of the Wehrmacht...

Did you know that 25% of the men in the Atlantic wall were not Germans? They were from Kazhakstan, Uzhbekistan, Armenia, Siberia, Kirgistan and not precisely volunteers... They were several of the 3rd class divisions ( filthy divisions of the 7th army of Friedrich Dollmann )...

Let's not forget about the Germans not born in Germany. There were several born in South America and Africa, sons of Germans who went and fought for the country they thought that was theirs. There was a very important foreigner serving Germany, actually, he was from Austria and his name was Adolf Hitler...

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Erich--I havent heard that word since the stupid show: "Love..American Style" was being played on TV. :D

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Imagine the icon with long hair or an afro ! Yeah Carl, remember the mod-squad..... :eek: :eek: not the newer version but dig those funky threads ! man, I am showing my age for sure here.

As pointed out on this postings there ae several sites dedicated to the Foreign volunteers. The amke up of the Normady factions on the beach fronts was pitiful to say the least. These poor soliders couldn;t of been given the rottenest assignement if they had planned it themselves. For the ones not killed outright by the shellings, the rest surrendered........I do believe we covered this on a past thread last year did we not ? As for the Dutch, Norwegian, Finnish and Sweden volunteers in the W-SS, I would suggest a copy of Wilhelm Tieke's " Tragody of the Faithful ", and excellent volume covering the volunteer's and Germans in 11th SS Pz. Grenadier Divison and 23rd SS Pz. Gren. Div Nederland....... good read....

E

7. Stevin

Stevin Ace

This post will be next to useless as it is re. a Dutch book (and in the Dutch Language). But I want to share anyway. It is called Onder de vleugels van de Partij (Under the wings of the party) and is the story of a Dutch boy growing up in a Dutch nazi family. He joins the Hitler Jugend, and later the SS at age 16, I believe. Ends up in the Hohenstaufen Div. So not Nordland, Wiking or the 23rd. Becomes an einzelganger and fights in the battle of Arnhem against the British and is a seasoned vet during the ardennes offensive. I read this book when I was a nipper and was very impressed by this story. Will read it again. A definate recommandation for anyone with too much time on their hands and an inclination to learn Dutch...

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Haa haa haaaa. I never watched the Mod Squad--I spent what time I could watching Bugs Bunny--The Three Stooges--Hogans Heroes--Mchales Navy--Gunsmoke--The Rifleman--Star Trek--and COMBAT.

I hated not being able to take control of our big Admiral TV in the L.R. as my sister was way bigger and older than I, and just HAD to watch that lousy "love american style."

Uuuuhhhhhgggggggg (the sound of Lurch--from The Addams Family making his sound of disgust) BTW--I watched The Addams Family and The Munsteres--Leave it to Beaver, Bewitched and a few others.

Bring back S.W.A.T!!