Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Germans using American weapons in the beginning of the war?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Charlie#10, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Rall

Rall Member

We mostly supplied them with pilots and our very own Navy.

As for the weapons being used in the beginning of the war; I've seen photos of Germans carrying Thompson (M1928) into France. Captured surplus perhaps or even Captured from British troops who fought in France?

http://media.photobucket.com/image/German Captured Thompson/germac1/untitled.jpg

There's one of the photos. Uniforms are early (M-36's/Jackboots) That tank looks Brit. but correct me if I'm wrong.

Early in the war, Russia had some lend-lease weapons from England and the US. Could be a captured one from the Eastern Front.

Hope this helped!

Cheers!

2. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

This is the first time I heard of this, Quite interesting.

3. rotherfield

rotherfield recruit

Hi
    can I come in on this albeit late in the day, I just cannot believe that germany used American weapons at the begining of WW2 because the lull between 1918 and 1939 was used rather productively by the war like Germanic leaders, in spite of the Versailles Treaty, by means of devious officials and an energetic military heirarchy, Germany managed tpo build a colossal war machine, which in my opinion, was far superior to any weaponry developed either by America of Gt Britain at the time.
    They say that "Good Design is evolutionary not Revolutionary" and so it was with the German Arms Development. At the outset in 1939, the German Military machine was formidable. Many of the new weapons had been tried and tested in the Spansih Civil Wars of 1936 so why would Germany look to American Arms? It was in the Spanish Civil War that the Germans found their Heinkel He51 biplanes were no match for the new Russian "Mosca" low wing fighter. It was here also that the 88mm antiaircraft gun of WW1 was upgraded, the standard 37mm antitank guns of the period were quietly outdated when the 88's lowered their muzzles to the horizontal and took their toll of the first of the new Russian T34 Tank. While the Spanish fought brother against brother, the Germans and the Russians sharpened their spears on Spansih Soil, it is a great pity that the Brit Military leaders did not take note of the German 88's in the Spanish War perhaps then they (the 88's) would not have decimated the Allied Armour in the opening stages of the war in North Africa.
    The 88 evolved step by step into the most vaunted artillery peice yet developed, the same holds true for the German Infantry Weapons. In the Machine Gun family the evolutionary pattern was the same. The MG15 was quietly replaced by the more efficient MG34 which in turn was supplanted by the sheet metal master piece the MG42, so I ask again, why would Germany want to use any other Countries weapons when they had far superior items themselves
    Onew other piece of information regarding the forward thinking of the German High Command all their ammunition with the exception of the their pisol ammon was of 7.92mm which meant it could be used by all troops using different weapons
    Rotherfield