Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Governors on shermans

Discussion in 'Armor and Armored Fighting Vehicles' started by Pacifist, Sep 15, 2014.

1. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Dave55 likes this.
  2. Dave55

Dave55 Member

3. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

Damn you guys are good.

I was going to give up due to governors not being sexy enough to include in books much less the internet.

4. Dave55

Dave55 Member

Give all the credit to Von Poop. He is the resident Shermaholic

5. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Stop it now.
    What this is mostly making me realise, Dave, is that I'm completely rusty.
    Might have been a time I'd have read the right passage at some point in the previous month. Not any more though.
    Hoping others with fresher knowledge will chip in.

I was thinking about the aero engines.
    Does something that converts a screaming radial down to more earth-bound use really qualify as a limiter?
    Maybe better described as a stop-things-melting-exploding-cracking-or-bursting-into-flames-er. Perhaps best not messed with by the knowlessman.

6. Triple C

Triple C Ace

Actually, that's not true. Patton forbade sandbag armor, but instituted a program in the Third Army to weld salvaged armor plates from wrecked M4s as well as Panthers onto medium tanks and coat them in cement. This was believed to be of real benefit to the survival of the tanks against Panzerfauste rounds as opposed to sandbags piled in logs, which were considered to be merely psychological comfort blankets by Patton's technical advisers. I am pretty sure the relevant passages are in Hunnicut and/or Zaloga's various books on the subject. I think there was a photograph of Patton who were walking away from a 11th AD tank with the said improvised sandbag/log armor looking very angry.

7. Up From Marseille

Up From Marseille Member

As pointed out, the Ford GAA used on the M4 did indeed have a governor. Per the TM9-759 section on tachometers, it gives us some details:

"Tachometer:
    The maximum speed of the engine is governed by a flyball type governor located at the rear of the right hand cylinder head. This governor is set to limit the engine speed to 2650 rpm under full load
    with wide open throttle (10-inch vacuum). If during operation under full load it is possible to run the engine at speeds above 2650 rpm, or if the governor limits the speed at some point below 2650
    rpm, the ordnance maintenance personnel will be notified. If the governor is set too low it will be impossible to get maximum speed and power from the vehicle; on the other hand if the governor is set
    too high, damage to the engine and other working parts could result."

In my interviews with M4 and M5 drivers of the 781st Tank Battalion; wiring the governor was one of the first things that troops did once they were deployed. The Shermans were routinely run overspeed until the valves floated with no problems.

The additional weight of the sandbags/cement/steel did overtax the suspension and caused rapid wear of the bogies. In my archives somewhere I have the supporting docs for this excerpt from my book:

"The 1st Armored Report at the end of March was again concerned with the suspected vulnerability of the Sherman tank. This report tells the results of an analysis and subsequent test that Division had done on a M4 tank that had been hit by a 75mm A/P shell at a range of 250 yards. Analysis showed that despite having approximately 7 inches of reinforced concrete on the sides, and even though the round cracked but failed to penetrate the side armor, the M4’s gas tank ruptured and caught fire, and the ammunition stored inside exploded even though it was a wet-storage unit that kept the ammunition in a liquid. After burning out, the same tank was tested to see if a Panzerfaust could penetrate the opposite side through the concrete. Depressingly, it did."

Despite this evidence, troops were allowed to keep a reasonable amount of added "armor" mainly for the morale value.

Dave55, Sheldrake and Poppy like this.
  8. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

As you might expect my heroes are the men in the M10s M18s, M36 and Archer SP anti tank guns who duelled with tanks in the knowledge that their turret arm,our was not designed to keep pout anything heaver than a rifle calibre bullet.

9. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

Always amazed they were willing to send open topped SP's into towns that had artillery incoming and enemy snipers in the houses.

Up From Marseille that's more like I anticipated from the drivers side. Willing to do anything to gain an advantage regardless of the bean counters back home.

Wish there were numbers to show HP and MPH of a sherman/stuart with and without governor.
    Also helps explain why there are rumors of the germans using capured shermans to tow tigers.

10. Up From Marseille

Up From Marseille Member

While the HP is up for conjecture, the MPH is fairly easy to calculate!

An M4A3 with a Ford GAA governed at 2650rpm was good for about 26mph in fourth gear.

The GAA would rev until the valves floated, which occurred between 3800-4000rpm, but let's take 3800 to be conservative.

Crunching some mathemetrical stuff yields an ungoverned top speed of 37mph for an M4A3 in fourth gear. That's haulin'!

11. Dave55

Dave55 Member

I hadn't heard about that before. Be interesting to see some pictures but it probably isn't something the Germans would boast about.

Not suprising though. They had more HP than any of the German (or American) prime movers and should have been able to tow anything on the battlefield. There were German recovery vehicles based on Panthers and Tigers that could also do the trick.

12. lwd

lwd Ace

I think it was in Italy and I believe I've seen picture of it. From what I recall the Shermans were missing their turrets and I think at least one of the pictures showed a couple of them towing a single Tiger although they may have been trying to pull it out of a hole.

13. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a7NZw-qQhA
    Describes a runaway Sherman pushing 2 other tanks into a third.

Dave55 likes this.
  14. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Hey that was good. Great to hear the old timers saying how it was...Buddy had quite the whistle while speaking. ..Enjoyed it.

15. Dave55

Dave55 Member

There are so many great facts and tidbits in there. Plus the guy sounds like Fess Parker. Great tape. Thanks for posting

16. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Fess Parker?
    lol A purple shafted nut slinger-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No6k_DSurJY

Dave55 likes this.
  17. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

"Was supposed to be a mesh, as that worked best, but material supply issues made it plate."

Wonder if mesh was harder/more expensive to produce.
    Maybe they use hanging chain now.

18. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Roughly.
    Plate: Roll/cast some plate. Cut.
    Mesh: Roll/cast steel. Roll/Extrude/draw to wire. Cut wire. Place in Jig. Weld. Weld some more. Then weld a bit more. Cut.

I honestly don't know what the specific mesh issues were, but it's a more complex material to create than sheets, might well have been needed elsewhere, could even have been the amount of welding time/materials required. Specifically, lord knows... or maybe somebody here will.

Hanging chains?
    [​IMG]

19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Nice picture ViP...looks like a Centurions about to do the 7 veils dance...Wonder who came up with the chain defense. Going to say Israel. They come up with cheap effective, then sell it as cost efficient...Kidding. Love the Israel.