Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

He-100 instead of Me-109

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by Gromit801, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

Exactly. The proper comparison is not with the Bf109 but the Fw190 which was also built after its contender had lost to the Bf109. The Fw190 wins not least because it did not use the same engine as the Bf109. Give me the advantages of the He100 over the Fw190.

2. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

Agreed. Though I would reserve the designation of good idea that did not work out in practice for aircraft like the Bolton and Paul Defiant which was designed to use a power turret to provide oblique fire with zero deflection from bombers blind spot.

The Me110 was one of several aircraft designed as a heavy long ranged fighter. It sits alongside the Beaufighter, fighter versions of the Blenheim , Potez 630 and Breda 88. The idea of a twin seat fighter /multi role aircraft worked in WW1 e.g. the Bristol Fighter. WW2 was not WW1 and none of these could survive combat against a single seat fighter. However, the Me110, Beaufighter and later Mosquito were very versatile and important types as night fighters and long ranged fighter bombers. The Me110 was a success - but not in its original designed role.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Kai-Petri likes this.
  3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Hmm...a success? It's not uncommon for aircraft that have failed in their primary role to go looking for other duties...this is a sign of failure and "making do". The other roles the 110 filled had better aircraft for the job.
    IMO the 110 lacked the power to weight ratio to make it nimble enough to fulfil its primary and secondary roles to a good standard. The second crewman was all but useless.
    My mail says the He-100 out performed the 109 sufficiently to win the competition, but Messerschmitt had already been chosen as the fighter company. Heinkel won one of the bomber contracts...possibly as a consolation prize...As usual in these big countries bureacracy and politics played a part in the selection process.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Kai-Petri likes this.
  4. Roderick Hutchinson

Roderick Hutchinson Member

Imagine the scene, it is the Battle of Britain.
    The RAF has the Spitfire and Hurricane, while the Luftwaffe has the He-100 and Fw-190. I would bet London to a brick that the Luftwaffe would have huge superiority in lethathality in fighters.

5. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Forgive me for asking such a question but HOW? I mean, you can hand wavium all you want, but that doesn't produce aircraft. First flight of the FW 190 was 1 June 1939. By the end of 1940 a total of 3 pre-production aircraft existed. First operational flight was August 1941, more than two years later. By that time, all of 25 aircraft had been built. By the end of 1941, there were 224. The FW 190 did not become a major factor in the air war until spring 1941.

The He 100 is even more of a non-starter.The Luftwaffe never wanted it. It already had the Bf 109 in full production and the production of DB601 engines was limited, so why waste time and scarce resources diverting production resources and engines to a marginally superior aircraft?

I can imagine a lot, but magicking aircraft to fight in a war is not one of them.

6. Roderick Hutchinson

Well since this is a what if (I think you have forgotten this part) the He-100 wins the 1935 competition. The RLM gives the contract to Heinkel to produce the main fighter but the RLM also likes the Bf-109 as such Messerschmitt gets to produce the Bf-109, while Kurt Tank develops the Fw-190 in 1937, the RLM orders the butcherbird into production by mid 1939.

7. RichTO90

No, but it seems that you may not realize that a historical what if that does not start from a reasonably plausible point of departure is meaningless. It is ASB. Hand waving.

As in this case. The He-100 was never IN the October 1935 contract competition. Heinkel did not even PROPOSE it until 1936. The first prototype DID NOT FLY until 22 January 1938. The He-100 came about BECAUSE of the failure of the He-112 versus the Bf-109.

The genesis of the He-112 was the RLM contracts in February 1934 with Arado, Bayerischesflugzuegwerke, Focke-Wulf, and Heinkel. The genesis of the He-100 was Heinkel's loss in the competition in October 1935. The genesis of the Fw-190 was the failure of the Fw-159 in the October 1935 competition.

You are not creating a historical what if. You are hand-waving away reality.

8. Roderick Hutchinson

I
    I we took your attitude towards Alternate history then we would never have sites like this place, I have a name of such individuals that only ever consider the facts as they occured historically and aren't willing or incapable of thinking outside the box, they are called "factual fanboys".
    The thing is it is not your fault, you are driven solely on fact and nothing else, you can not concieve an alternate timeline, it is in your genetic make-up, I assure you there are plenty of factually correct forum sites that can accommodate you.

9. RichTO90

Um, I don't know how to tell you this, but this is not a "what if" site, it is a World War II history site that has a what if section in it.

Indulging fantasy is not "thinking outside the box" and is not the role of counterfactual history. A good what if starts from a reasonable point of departure and explores possibilities. I enjoy good what ifs, but this isn't one of them, it is yet another "What if Napoleon had a B-52 at Waterloo?"

The thing is, rather than arguing from facts, you are indulging in an ad hominem. I am not sure if it is your fault or not, but it does seem to be a constant problem when trying to discuss what ifs.

10. Roderick Hutchinson

If Napoleon had B-52's I would say he would win.
    Hahahaha.

11. Roderick Hutchinson

Maybe a modified Bf110 is produced as a pure heavy fighter, it has room for the pilot that is it, no second crew member. I think this could have possibilities.

CAC likes this.
  12. RichTO90

Sure. Or you could give him AK47's. Or Sherman tanks. But what if Wellington and Blucher had Mig-29s or Tiger tanks in that case?

But what insight have you gained to the real world events?

A what if without a real purpose that is based upon fantasy is simply mental masturbation.

13. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

14. RichTO90

Sure, evaporative cooling, faster, longer range, and etc cetera made it a Wunderwaffe...

It was also more expensive to build, manufacture took longer, the evaporative cooling was dropped from the production model, it carried a single 2cm Kanone, it could not be adapted as a fighter bomber...and production of the Bf 109 was already in full swing. In 1939, when the He 100 might have begun production, 1,868 Bf 109 were completed, in addition to the 822 built in 1937 and 1938.

15. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

If Hitler had had the Death Star we'd all be toast. Hitler included.

16. Roderick Hutchinson

Then Austin Powers shows up with preparation H and gives everyone the finger for a million dollars.

Ricky likes this.