Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

He-100 instead of Me-109

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by Gromit801, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

Exactly. The proper comparison is not with the Bf109 but the Fw190 which was also built after its contender had lost to the Bf109. The Fw190 wins not least because it did not use the same engine as the Bf109. Give me the advantages of the He100 over the Fw190.

2. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

Agreed. Though I would reserve the designation of good idea that did not work out in practice for aircraft like the Bolton and Paul Defiant which was designed to use a power turret to provide oblique fire with zero deflection from bombers blind spot.

The Me110 was one of several aircraft designed as a heavy long ranged fighter. It sits alongside the Beaufighter, fighter versions of the Blenheim , Potez 630 and Breda 88. The idea of a twin seat fighter /multi role aircraft worked in WW1 e.g. the Bristol Fighter. WW2 was not WW1 and none of these could survive combat against a single seat fighter. However, the Me110, Beaufighter and later Mosquito were very versatile and important types as night fighters and long ranged fighter bombers. The Me110 was a success - but not in its original designed role.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Kai-Petri likes this.
  3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Hmm...a success? It's not uncommon for aircraft that have failed in their primary role to go looking for other duties...this is a sign of failure and "making do". The other roles the 110 filled had better aircraft for the job.
    IMO the 110 lacked the power to weight ratio to make it nimble enough to fulfil its primary and secondary roles to a good standard. The second crewman was all but useless.
    My mail says the He-100 out performed the 109 sufficiently to win the competition, but Messerschmitt had already been chosen as the fighter company. Heinkel won one of the bomber contracts...possibly as a consolation prize...As usual in these big countries bureacracy and politics played a part in the selection process.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Kai-Petri likes this.