Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hitlers Panzers East

Discussion in 'ETO, MTO and the Eastern Front' started by dasreich, Aug 8, 2002.

1. dasreich

dasreich Member

On this forum, the opinion that the war was lost for Germany due to the failure to take Moscow is a prevalent one. I myself subscribe to this theory. Well I found an entire book dedicated to how Germany could have won save for not taking Moscow. R.H.S. Stolfi, the author, says that Hitler, instead of ordering an assault on Moscow, wanted to drive through the Ukraine instead, and this was the critical error. I have found the book interesting and highly informative, and would recommend it strongly.

"Hitler's Panzer East"
    ISBN 0-8061-2581-0

2. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Well, thanks for the book! ;)

Althought I like books with facts, really. To make "what-ifs" is on guys like us...

3. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Well, I would say that more details are needed. I would say that since Hitler knew that in order to win the war in Russia, Moscow had to be taken. Since it was not, he then turned his strategy towards a war of attrition and focused on the Ukraine to repeat the encirclement campaigns. This did not work since the Russians learned their lesson at this time.

4. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Entirely right, PzJgr! ;)