Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How violent did the days before Anschluss really become, in Austria?

Discussion in 'Prelude to War & Poland 1939' started by magnoliasouth, Jul 14, 2023.

1. magnoliasouth

magnoliasouth New Member

If I recall correctly, and I may not be recalling correctly, I once read that one night Nazis flooded the street and began fights with the Metal Workers who announced that the negotiations had fallen apart. I can't remember who the author was but probably either William Shirer or Churchill. I've searched news articles back in that day (March 11, 1938 recalling the news the night before, is the one that interests me most) trying to get the details about how violent it got, but they pretty much only say "violent," without much detail.

Were they beating others? Or were they just making threats? Like, violent speeches or something?

Most modern articles skip over that. They just want to talk about Anschluss itself rather than the prelude. I'm interested in the prelude.

Another thing that puzzles me is why Schuschnigg pretty much avoided protecting his state. I know events were happening rather quickly and I also know that Schuschnigg cast a suspicious eye onto Hitler. So why wasn't he more prepared? Would it have even made a difference?

These are the things that keep me awake at night. :p

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Most Austrians supported Hitler. Most of the violence was directed toward Austria's Jewish population. You might want to read this for a fuller discussion, including Schuschnigg's role.
    Nazi Territorial Aggression: The Anschluss

Slipdigit likes this.