Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hungarian Heavy Artillery

Discussion in 'Artillery' started by yan taylor, Jul 8, 2013.

1. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

Hi everyone; I have been running through the Artillery used by the Hungarians in WW2, and I have found that they had three types of 210mm Howitzers:

These were basically the same weapon based on the Italian Ansaldo Obice da 210/25 Modello 35, the Hungarians bought eight of these in 1940 and named them Heavy Howitzer 39M, but after then they developed a version of their own called the Heavy Howitzer 40M, later another modified version appeared called Heavy Howitzer 41M.

Now what I am looking for is the actual year the 40M was issued, its weight in transport and its Maximum range, the 41M I need the amount produced in when it was issued in 1943.

It’s a strange question I know, but if I can fill in these blanks then I will post the full list when completed.

Yan.

2. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

Do you know if the were licence buik or simply copied? if the first there may be some information in the Ansaldo archives that AFAIK surived intact.

3. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

Hi Ace; I have come across an old book of mine with a section on Hungarian Artillery written by Terry Gander, and he says that the first Howitzers were delivered from Italy in 1939 (about 8), the Hungarians named them 21cm 39M, but once in service there Carriages proved to be unsatisfactory so they made their own alterations designated 21cm 40M, but not long after that they began to produce their own (maybe 12) and these were called 21cm 40aM, so he says that there was no 21cm 41M? Which is unusual because I have actually seen this weapon called by this name on other sites, so I more confused now then I was before.

Yan.