Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I spent most of today doing this not only for me but for other fans of the Eastern Front.

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by C.Evans, Feb 5, 2009.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Re-bump.

2. Richard Hargreaves

Richard Hargreaves Member

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks for the run-down on this book. I almost bought it when I was at Half-Price books a few days ago. I saw one copy on the shelf but someone must have been drinking something when reading it and got it on the pages-so I bought Brandenburg Commandoes by: Franz Kurowski-instead.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Just bought this excellent book. Just "love" the pics from Kharkov early spring 1943...

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

This is another on my to get list too--after Hells Gate.

Folks I know I been saying ill keep up i n this thread but, im far behind on so much stuff thanks to lack of computer and internet access foe most of the time-as well as the past 2 =weeks. Ill be playing catch up here for quite sometime so dont know when ill eventually be able to get back to posting new titles here.

6. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

If(!)one is able to read German ,a good source (for a reasonable price :50 euro)is
    Das Deutsche Reich und der Zweite Weltkrieg (11 tomes)

7. L-Raiser

L-Raiser Member

Here we go again!!!

Does anyone know what happened to the Stalingrad trilogy by Glantz? The first two volumes were released quite quickly, but there's no sign of the third volume.... Instead he started the Barbarossa Derailed series.

Cheers

8. L-Raiser

L-Raiser Member

9. Richard Hargreaves

Richard Hargreaves Member

Hitler's Final Fortress: Breslau 1945, the first full history of the siege for the city in English is now published by Pen and Sword in the UK. It's narrative/human history, rather than military history (ie the movements of corps and divisions and the like) - if you've read my books on Poland and Normandy, the style is similar, but better...

Anyway, for the record it's 130,000 words, 268 pages,16 pages of plates, 11 maps. ISBN 978-1848-845152.

10. L-Raiser

L-Raiser Member

Hello!

Found a couple of books on amazon, due to be published in 2012;

http://www.amazon.com/ZHITOMIR-BERDICHEV-Operations-December-1943-31-January/dp/1907677666/ref=sr_1_50?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324596121&sr=1-50

A]Amazon.com: ZHITOMIR-BERDICHEV: German Operations West of Kiev 24 December 1943-31 January 1944 Volume 1 (9781907677663): Stephen Barratt: Booksn[/URL]y insights on them? Are they worth it? As usual kinda pricey books....

Also found books by an author named David Porter, Das Reich Division at Kursk: 11 July 1943 (Visual Battle Ground) and one that's coming in 2010 about LAH in Villers-Bocage. Are they any good?

Well, gotta go.

Cheers, and season greetings to everybody
    :cool:

11. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I'll second ( or is it third ? :eek: ) this one.

Bought a copy last week and so far I have found it absolutely gripping. The final battles along and behind the Baltic coast have always been something of a mystery to me and this book is fast making things much clearer.

Also, it is well-written in a flowing style, and includes many first-hand accounts from sources which haven't previously been available in English.

Recommended ! :cool:

12. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

This formerly much-neglected ( in English ) area has seen a few titles appearing in the last couple of years ; titles such as 'Prussian Apocalypse : The Fall Of Danzig 1945' by Egbert Krieser ( translated by Tony Le Tissier ) and ( best of all, I think ) ' Battleground Prussia : The Assault On Germany's Eastern Front 1944-45' by Prit Buttar ( Osprey 2010 ).

The last book in particular is very impressive and has given me a much clearer understanding of the fighting - and the horrors - of the final months in Prussia....

13. L-Raiser

L-Raiser Member

Hello,

It's been more than a year, but i had to revive this thread :)

I already have the book on Cherkassy (Hell Gates), and i'm waiting for the book on Cholm (Besieged), so, to have books on the most famous and dramatic sieges of the Eastern Front, i'm missing a book on Demyansk.
    Is there a book about this battle?

On a side note... i'm watching "Nazi Superstructures" on National Geographic, but is it me or the actor they chose to portray Hitler looks like Poirot? :)

Cheers, and a happy new year to everyone.

14. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

Thanks! I agree. It's one of the best threads on this forum. 5 Star Rated, for sure. [​IMG]

Most books are available in (limited) preview on Google Books. An easy way to browse to see if they perk your interest.

I strongly concur with reading Kursk: The German View edited by Steven H. Newton

Load foreign language books up on Google Chrome, and its automatic translator kicks into gear.

15. Sean Hansen

Sean Hansen New Member

One of the big things happening for us Soviet-German war fans is the publishing of the final book(s) of David Glantz's Stalingrad Trilogy, which began yesterday in America, and will be finished within the next 1 & 1/2 month. There's also the republishing of Jason Mark's Death of the Leaping Horseman, though by a different publisher, so probably in a worker quality compared to the original version. But anyway I'm gonna have to get it, now there's a possibility of getting it for a reasonable price. There's also the translation of a book by renowned Russian historian Alexei Isaev about the Budapest battles. By Robert Forczyk a book about the Crimean battles will get published. Another translation (also by the great Stuart Britton) is a biography of Konstantin Rokossovsky.

That was all for now,
    great reading!

Sean Hansen

16. L-Raiser

L-Raiser Member

Here we go again....

I was planning to open a new thread, to discuss the subject i'm about to refer, but then i decided that it would be a lot better if i revived this one, probably my favorite of the entire forum.

This year Helion & Company started publushing a series of books on the Eastern Front by the Soviet General Staff, edited by Richard W. Harrison, according to David Schranck's review on amazon this are studies commisioned by the Soviet General Staff.

My question is, are these books a milestone in Eastern Front publications in english, or are they, as i fear dated and completely clouded by communist propaganda (i don't know when these books were commisioned), that's the reason why i still didn't order one.
    There are books written through German or Soviet perspective (which i love) and then there are books written through a pespective that are nothing more than works of propaganda and bias, which in my humble opinion, in 2016, i can't stand them.

This collection has everything to be a Eastern Front enthusiast wet dream, or a complete waste of time bringing nothing new to the table.

Cheers

(if this text sounds a little disjointed, blame on my two year old twins that are here with me trying to destroys this computer as i write this)