Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I think white people got a little scared and voted...

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by Ben Dover, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Active Member

Brexit happened in the EU, now GB's not going to be in the EU, Donald Trump won with the white male vote basically on a campaign for American protectionism...
    I think this so called 2016 revolution in politics is just because white folks got scared... So they voted.
    I'm white (not that that should matter), from London in the UK, and I did vote; I voted to remain in the EU and, my London borough voted remain, like me, but, UK still, all in all, voted to exit. - IDK, I'm from London so I never saw a problem with the EU, just the perks.

2. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

If it was a case of black vs. white for who lived in the White House for the next 4 years, Obama wouldn't have been elected in the first place. The red necks, white trash and hillbillys would've come out of the woodworks to vote against that black dude from Chicago/Hawaii/Kenya wanting to go to work in the White House (and not in a custodial or other menial job). It's a very complex issue, determining why certain blocks of voters voted the way they do here in the states, just like everywhere else. Except for maybe those places that only have one party/person/dictator on the ballot.

I feel that your theory is a bit off for the most part. Sure, some people will always see race as a motivator, some see economics, others see change/no change, and for some, well who knows what everyone thinks to be sure of to be exact. I saw the Brexit as an easy choice. Go or stay. We chose go in 1776. Worked out well enough for us.

bronk7 likes this.
  3. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Active Member

My theory is just about 2016... White people wasn't scared back when they voted Obama.

I know people of colour who are political too, but just think, White people got scared, and this is what happens when White people get scared... You get Brexit and Trump... - Now .. I wonder, what is scaring the white people?
    I, am all for ceilings getting broken, but in a world where that that's all that's promoted, there is no room for white men, and, the thought of no room for me, because of my gender or because of my ethnicity; is a little bit scary to me, a white male. I've got LGBT friends but I'm hetero. I just feel, no protests, nothing, just changes, like in 2016's so called political revolution; was caused by white people getting a little scared and 2016's revolution is the effect of that.

bronk7 likes this.
  4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I'm white, and come from a predominantly white family, with mostly white friends, and never heard anyone being so scared of black folks that they felt that they had to go out and vote for Trump. The biggest reasons the people in my circle voted the way they did was to keep Hillary from getting elected to stop her from (in no certain order)

a) from loading the Supreme Court with ultra-lib appointees in the next 4 to 8 years

b dismantling of the Constitution, in particular the 2nd Amendment

c) revise/abolish Obamacare

There were dozens and dozens of other reasons out there that I heard and discused, but I considered them all peripheral when compared to the above mentioned items.

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

People vote their wallets, and this election was no different. The biggest decider was health care premiums jumping as much as 160%. People got those notices for the increases in October, with the hammer to fall in January. Obama's health care act had been implemented so that the hard reality of the increased costs would be incremental, and thus perhaps acceptable. They miscalculated. The ridiculous scheme fell apart earlier than anticipated and as far as I'm concerned, that ugly reality was the prime mover. Many people who wouldn't have voted at all, or would have voted democrat, got their notices and decided "F^&k This" and went out and voted for the guy who promised to repeal this crazy law.

6. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

It wasn't white fear, it was anti-status quo (IMHO) and the exit polling numbers bear this out. Latino's were the margin of victory for Trump in Florida and without that state his run was dead in the water. He won by 1 percentage point 49% to 48%.
    The media coverage is flawed, they make it look like non-college educated white men drove the election, and it negated the votes of women, blacks and Latino's. Unfortunately, it's largely not true.
    • College educated white males 54% Trump 39% Clinton (so much for the only non-college educated angle)
    • College educated women, surely no educated woman would vote for Trump. Well they did, 45% Trump 51% Clinton. So, Clinton did better in this demographic but, 6% is not the way it's being portrayed in the media. If Clinton were able to pull a larger percentage here she would have been President. Gender was not the issue.
    • He got about 1/3d of the Hispanic vote, almost evenly across education levels. The media makes you think Hillary pulled the entire Latino vote except for older Cubans.
    • Trump didn't pull a large percentage of the black demographic, his highest percentage was with college educated black males at 18%. What is interesting is he pulled over 2% more black votes than Bush or Romney did.
    • Trump thumped Hillary in the military/veteran group by a 61% to 34% margin.
    • When asked the most important quality the candidate brings to the table the #1 trait was "Can bring needed change" Trump beat Hillary in voter perception of this trait 83% to 14%.

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Hiya Ben...You've mentioned that you are str8 a couple times. Unsure how that is relevant...Curious what your lgbt friends think about the kingdom of saudi arabia/ other countries- stoning, lashing, jailing, honour killing, treatment of women, minorities, lgbt, sharia, etc, etc...
    You know sharia is being practiced in your country, and places the police will not go. Would like to hear how that is a good thing.
    Then ask your friends why feminists -like the clintons (lol), accepted 25 million dollars from ksa (the country that funded 911- killed 2000, won't let women be free, kill gays, fund extremism, etc etc etc).
    It's about doing what is right, Ben. It was a vote (Brexit too) against a one world government. If clinton had won, she would have ruined what is left of the free world (drops mic).

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

If you're not a straight, white, Christian male, I think the next four years are going to be tough. Trump's campaign rhetoric made divisiveness OK. There have been many instances already of acts against those felt to be the "other". There is talk among his advisors about overturning gay marriage, Roe v. Wade, and other civil rights decisions. They have already managed to restrict voting rights in many places. Even if Trump had lost, there would have been an uptick in activities that are counter to what many consider to be their basic rights simply because of his rhetoric.

I'll bow out of this discussion and try o restrict my postings to WW2 related threads.

9. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Out of a population of 325 million people, these two are the best we can produce to be president of this country?
    It''s no damn wonder only about 47% of the eligible voters actually voted.
    I've voted in every election since I was 21 and found it impossible to vote for either of the presidential candidates this time- I used a write in--sad.

Ken The Kanuck likes this.
  10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Surprising you didn't post Ian Dury's "I wanna be straight" Poppy...

Poppy likes this.
  11. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

We have a Muslim security guard at work, very nice guy, the day before the election he said that if he was an American he would vote for Trump.

Maybe people just voted for the lesser of 2 evils.

KTK

12. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Yup, Trump is no knight. But light years ahead of the clintons. I'd post dozens of shit the clintons were in on. But they are gone. Good riddance, and am enjoying schadenfreude. ..There seems to be some kind of rule, where leaving admins don't seem to have to account for themselves...The donald said he would persecute hillary. His votes demand he does so...If he does not vigorously go after the witch and her twisted husband (crack whore son), Trump will have failed already in part of his promise.

13. Takao

Takao Ace

What do you expect for a measly 450some thousand a year job? When top CEOs are getting several times that?

Makes you wonder why Trump wanted the job...Never did release his taxes. Guess he will have to now, or at least in 2017.

14. Buten42

Buten42 Member

He better wait until after his fraud trial on Nov. 28th for screwing people with his "university" before going after Clinton for something the FBI already cleared her from. I'm not a big Clinton fan and think she rigged the game against Sanders, but can't condone this self described pervert, proven con man, persecuting anybody.

15. Takao

Takao Ace

I'd say the odds will be pretty good that they will settle before the 28th.

16. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Big friggin deal...we should be talking about saudi arabia funding 911, Iran and the payments, nuke shit...where are our priorities

17. Buten42

Buten42 Member

That would be the wise thing, but my bet is his gigantic ego won't let him settle.

18. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Sounds like you believe another endless investigation like Benghazi, emails, etc, that do nothing but waste time and money persecuting
    Clinton takes priority over everything else. When do we stop looking in the rear view mirror and start doing something about our infrastructure that's falling around our necks, how about doing something about our 76,000 page tax code that allows billionaires like Trump to skip out on paying taxes, how about our schools that are rated far below the other industrial nations? This endless nit-picking shit is exactly why the people are so upset they will elect anybody who might bring change.

19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Cheers.
    People who were influenced need to be prosecuted. People need to know it is not ok to sell out your country/scoff at security, and if you do- you will be thrown in jail. Like Trump said he would do to- lying, crooked hillary. That was his catch phrase...Now he is all peace and forgiveness

20. Buten42

Buten42 Member

OK, fair enough. This article is in the Washington Post. Let's talk about selling out the country/scoff at security. I wouldn't trust this guy with my Social Security Number, now we need to make him privy to the highest level of intelligence. This is truly scary.
    Do you agree that he should be thrown in jail for dealing with the enemy to throw an election?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/moscow-had-contacts-with-trump-team-during-campaign-russian-diplomat-says/2016/11/10/28fb82fa-a73d-11e6-9bd6-184ab22d218e_story.html